Wavelet transforms: Application to data analysis - I
In this article, we elaborate upon the key ideas underlying the construction of various wavelet basis sets. The roles of translation and scaling, which enable the wavelets to localize variations at desired levels of resolution, are clearly brought out. After explaining the implementation of one dimensional wavelet transform, we illustrate their usefulness through the analysis of a data set.
KeywordsDiscrete wavelet transform multi-resolution analysis (MRA) translation scaling Daubechies’ basis sets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S Nanavati and P Panigrahi, Wavelet transform: A new mathematical microscope,Resonance, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp 50–64, March 2004.Google Scholar
- I Daubechies,Ten Lectures on Wavelets, SIAM, Philadelphia, USA. 1992.Google Scholar
- B B Hubbard,The World According to Wavelets, 2nd edition, Universities Press (India), Hyderabad, 2003.Google Scholar
- http://www.wavelets.org, Wavelet Digest, a portal which keeps the information of latest happenings in this field. Could be subscribed through mail.Google Scholar
- http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rpolikar/WAVELETS/ WTtutorial.html, A Introductory Tutorial on Wavelets by Robi Poliker.Google Scholar