Effect of cooling rate on the austenite-ferrite phase boundary composition of a duplex stainless steel
- 77 Downloads
Duplex stainless steels are being increasingly used in the industry for applications in corrosive environments. The phase balance of austenite and ferrite and the composition of the phase boundaries are critical for optimum properties of this material. Both depend on the rate of cooling from the annealing temperature. An investigation to gain a better understanding of this correlation has been carried out. The microstructures developed during the different cooling rates and the electron probe microanalysis (EPMA) line profiles of various elements across the phase boundaries are presented. Nickel content shows a dip next to the phase boundary which varies with the cooling rate. The phase boundaries in samples cooled at high and intermediate cooling rates were found to be enriched in molybdenum. A possible mechanism for the ferrite to austenite transformation, indicated by the nickel and molybdenum concentration variations at the phase boundaries, is described.
KeywordsFerrite Austenite Cool Rate Phase Boundary Duplex Stainless Steel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.D. Soloman and T.M. Devine Jr., Duplex Stainl. Steel, Conf. Proc, R.A. Lula, ed., ASM, Metals Park, Ohio, 1983, p. 693.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Kolts, Duplex Stainl.Steel, Conf. Proc, R.A. Lula, ed., ASM, Metals Park, Ohio, 1983, p. 233.Google Scholar
- 3.A. J. Sedriks, Corrosion, 1986, vol. 42, p. 376.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Sakai, I. Matsushima, Y. Kamemura, M. Tanimura, and T. Osuka, Duplex Stainl. Steel, Conf. Proc., R.A. Lula (ed.), ASM, Metals Park Ohio, 1983, p. 211.Google Scholar
- 5.P.E. Manning, D.J. Duquette, and W.F. Savage, Corrosion, 1979, vol. 35, p. 151.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Hronsky and D. J. Duquette, Corrosion, 1982, vol. 38, p. 63.Google Scholar
- 7.V.J. Gadgil, J.J. Swens, and B.H. Kolster, J. de Phys., 1989, vol. 50, p. C8-361.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Herzman, W. Roberts, and M. Lindenmo, Int. Conf. on Duplex Stainl. Steel, NIL, The Hague, 1986, p. 257.Google Scholar
- 9.CRC Handb. of Chem. and Phys., R.C. Weast, ed., CRC Press Inc., West Palm Beach, Florida, 1978, p. F65.Google Scholar
- 10.Y.H. Yau and M.A. Streicher, Corrosion, 1987, vol. 43, p. 366.Google Scholar