The effect of liquid lithium on fatigue crack propagation in 304L stainless steel at elevated temperatures
- 13 Downloads
Liquid lithium was observed to enhance fatigue crack propagation in 304L stainless steel at 973 K. The enhanced crack growth rates are shown to be associated with preferential grain boundary penetration in the vicinity of the tip of a propagating fatigue crack exposed to liquid lithium. The enhanced crack growth rates are correlated with the predictions of a model based on the summation of grain boundary penetration by liquid lithium and the growth rates in an argon environment.
KeywordsLithium Fatigue Crack Crack Growth Rate Fatigue Crack Propagation 304L Stainless Steel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. K. Matlock, R. E. Spencer, D. L. Hammon, T. A. Whipple, D. L. Olson:Proceedings of the Second Internationa! Conference on Liquid Metal Technology in Energy Production, Richland, Wash., April 20–24, 1980, Sec. 22, p. 32–39.Google Scholar
- 2.D. L. Olson, G. N. Reser, and D. K. Matlock:Corrosion, 1980, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 140–44.Google Scholar
- 3.P. A. Steinmeyer, D. L. Olson, G. R. Edwards, and D. K. Matlock:Review on Coatings and Corrosion, accepted for publication, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. Reeves, Jr., D. L. Olson, and W. L. Bradley:Nucl. Tech., 1976, vol. 30, pp. 385–89.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Jordan, W. L. Bradley, and D. L. Olson:Nucl. Tech., 1976, vol. 29, pp. 209–14.Google Scholar
- 6.T. A. Whipple, D. L. Olson, W. L. Bradley, and D. K. Matlock:Nucl. Tech., 1978, vol. 39, pp. 75–83.Google Scholar
- 7.D. L. Hammon, S. K. DeWeese, D. K. Matlock, and D. L. Olson:Closed Loop, vol. 9, November, 1979, pp. 3–11.Google Scholar
- 8.H. D. Soloman and L. F. Coffin, Jr.: from “Fatigue at Elevated Temperatures”, ASTM STP 520, 1973, pp. 112–22.Google Scholar
- 9.V. V. Popovich, I. G. Shtydalo, and M. I. Chaevskii:Sov. Mater. Sci., 1967, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 127–33.Google Scholar