Effect of room temperature aging on low temperature transformation of retained austenite
- 73 Downloads
The effect of room temperature aging on the stabilization and low temperature transformation of retained austenite in a low alloy steel (SAE 52100) was studied. It was found that the amount of retained austenite which transformed on subcooling to 250 °K, 200 °K, and 150 °K decreased rather rapidly as the aging time at room temperature prior to cooling was extended up to 16 hours. Little retained austenite transformed by further extending the aging time at room temperature beyond 16 hours.
KeywordsAustenite Martensite Aging Time Plain Carbon Steel Retain Austenite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. S. Castleman, B. L. Averbach, and M. Cohen: “Effect of Retained Austenite Upon Mechanical Properties,”Trans. ASM, 1952, vol. 44, p. 240.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Duval, G. Murry, and A. Constant: “Contribution à l’étude des facteurs métallurgiques affectant la stabilité dimensionnelle des aciers,”Rev. Metall., 1966, vol. 63, p. 707.Google Scholar
- 4.R. L. Banerjee: “Evolution de l’austenite résiduelle au cours du revenu,”Traitement Thermique, 1980, vol. 147, p. 39.Google Scholar
- 7.S. G. Fletcher and M. Cohen: “The Dimensional Stability of Steel. Part I-Subatmospheric Transformation of Retained Austenite,”Trans. ASM, 1945, vol. 34, p. 216.Google Scholar
- 8.A. R. Troiano and A. B. Greninger: “The martensite transformation,”Met. Prog., 1946, vol. 50, p. 303.Google Scholar
- 10.S. G. Fletcher, B. L. Averbach, and M. Cohen: “The Dimensional Stability of Steel. Part II-Further Experiments in Subatmospheric Transformations,”Trans. ASM, 1948, vol. 40, p. 703.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Liebmann.Zeit, fur Wirtschaftliche Fertigung, 1966, vol. 61, p. 235. (Quoted by K. E. Thelning in “Steel and its Heat Treatment,” 2nd Edition, 1984, Butterworths, London.)Google Scholar
- 13.B. L. Averbach and M. Cohen: “X-ray Determination of Retained Austenite by Integrated Intensities,”Trans. AIME, 1948, vol. 176, p. 401.Google Scholar