Hyperbolic secant method for predicting Jominy hardenability: An example using 0.2C-Ni-Cr-Mo steels
The model equations and procedures to be followed for predicting Jominy end-quench hardenability via a four-parameter hyperbolic secant curve-fitting (SECH) technique are described and illustrated by an example for carburizing steels. Appropriate techniques for performing multiple regression analyses for the SECH equations are discussed. Jominy hardness predictions obtained using the example SECH regression equations are compared with predictions based on two other methods and actual hardness data from an independent set of steels. The hardenability trends predicted by the SECH equations are examined from a metallurgical standpoint.
KeywordsMinimum Residual Initial Hardness Polynomial Regression Equation Jominy Curve Ideal Critical Diameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. M. Tartaglia and G. T. Eldis: Met. Trans., 1984, No. 6, Vol. 15A, pp. 1173–1183.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Just: Met. Prog., 1969, No. 5, Vol. 96, pp. 87–88.Google Scholar
- 3.J. M. Tartaglia: Report L-193-141-01, AMAX Materials Research Center, Ann Arbor, MI, September 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.J. M. Tartaglia, J. J. Geissler and G. T. Eldis: Report L-193-144, AMAX Materials Research Center, Ann Arbor, MI, November 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Robert T. Langland and Norman N. Yabe: “Computer Program for Nonlinear Regression Using Least Squares,” U.S. Bureau of Mines—Information Circular No. 8649, U.S. Department of the Interior Library, Washington, 1974.Google Scholar
- 6.W. J. Dix et al., Editors: BMDP Statistical Software Manual, University of California Press, Los Angeles, CA, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.M. J. Norusis: “Advanced Statistics Guide SPSS-X,” SPSS, Chicago, IL, 1985.Google Scholar
- 8.“SAS Users’ Guide: Statistics,” Version 5 Edition, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.N. R. Draper and H. Smith: “Applied Regression Analysis,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY, 1966.Google Scholar
- 10.N. H. Nie, C. H. Hull, J. G. Jenkins, K. Steinbrenner, and D. H. Bent: “SPSS Statistical Package for the Social Sciences,” 2nd Ed., pp. 345–347, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- 11.C. H. Hull, N. H. Nie: “SPSS Update 7–9,” pp. 106–107, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- 12.C. A. Apple: Private Communication to Hardenability Task Force of SAE Division 8, February 1980.Google Scholar