A new method for impossible differential cryptanalysis of 8-round advanced encryption standard
- 70 Downloads
This paper first presents an impossible differential property for 5-round Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with high probability. Based on the property and the impossible differential cryptanalytic method for the 5-round AES, a new method is proposed for cryptanalyzing the 8-round AES-192 and AES-256. This attack on the reduced 8-round AES-192 demands 2121 words of memory, and performs 2148 8-round AES-192 encryptions. This attack on the reduced 8-round AES-256 demands 2153 words of memory, and performs 2180 8-round AES-256 encryptions. Furthermore, both AES-192 and AES-256 require about 298 chosen plain-texts for this attack, and have the same probability that is only 23 to fail to recover the secret key.
Key wordsimpossible differential cryptanalysis cryptanalysis Advanced Encryption Standard
CLC numberTN 918
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daemen J, Rijmen V. AES Proposal: Rijndael [DB/OL]. [2006-01-10].http://csrc.nist.gov/envryption/aes/rijndael.Google Scholar
- Nechvatal J, Barker E, Burrrr W,et al. Report on the Development of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) [DB/OL]. [2006-01-10].http://www.nist.gov/aes. Google Scholar
- Daemen J, Knudsen L, Rijmen V. The Block Cipher Square [C]//Proc. Of Fast Software Encryption '97. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1997:149–165.Google Scholar
- Biham E, Keller N. Cryptanalysis of Reduced Variants of Rijndael [DB/OL]. [2006-01-10].http://csrc.nist.gov/envryption/ aes/round2/conf3/aes3papers.html. Google Scholar
- Wagner D. The Boomerang Attack [C]//Proc Of Fast Software Encryption '99. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999: 156–170.Google Scholar
- Biham E, Dunkelman O, Keller N. The Rectangle Attack-Rectangling the Serpent [C]//Proc Of Eurocrypt '01. London: Springer-Verlag, 2001:340–357.Google Scholar
- Courtois N T, Pieprzyk J. Cryptanalysis of Block Ciphers with Overdefined Systems of Equations [C]//Proc Of Asia-Crypt' 02. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2002:267–287.Google Scholar
- Cheon J H, Kim M J, Kim K J,et al. Improved Impossible Differential Cryptanalysis of Rijndael and Crypton [C]//Proc Of ICICS2001 Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2002:39–49.Google Scholar