Effects of thermal cycling on the kinetics of the γ → ε martensitic transformation in an Fe-17 wt pct Mn alloy
- 132 Downloads
The thermal cycling of an Fe-17 wt pct Mn alloy between 303 and 573 K was performed to investigate the effects of thermal cycling on the kinetics of the γ → ε martensitic transformation in detail and to explain the previous, contrasting results of the change in the amount of ε martensite at room temperature with thermal cycling. It was observed that the shape of the γ → ε martensitic transformation curve (volume fraction vs temperature) changed gradually from a C to an S curve with an increasing number of thermal cycles. The amount of ε martensite of an Fe-17 wt pct Mn alloy at room temperature increased with thermal cycling, in spite of the decrease in the martensitic start (M s) temperature. This is due to the increase in transformation kinetics of ε martensite at numerous nucleation sites introduced in the austenite during thermal cycling.
KeywordsAustenite Martensite Material Transaction Thermal Cycling Martensitic Transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Tsuzaki, M. Ikegami, Y. Tomota, and T. Maki: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 1990, vol. 30, pp. 666–72.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Jin and C.S. Choi: J. Kor. Inst. Metall. Mater., 1992, vol. 30, pp. 68–75.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Tsuzaki, M. Ikegami, Y. Tomota, Y. Kurokawa, W. Nakagawara, and T. Maki: Mater. Trans. JIM, 1992, vol. 33, pp. 263–70.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Burke and D.W. Harvey: J. Iron Steel Inst., 1970, vol. 208, pp. 779–93.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Takaki, H. Nakatsu, and Y. Tokunaga: Mater. Trans. JIM, 1993, vol. 34, pp. 489–95.Google Scholar