Deinstitutionalization: A microcosmic perspective
- 16 Downloads
Changes have taken place in caring for chronic patients due to deinstitutionalization, and these changes have affected the services rendered by the community mental health centers.
Statistical data on dehospitalized patients treated in a community mental health center located in the South Central Bronx are examined to determine trends in service utilization by these patients. Demographic characteristics of this population are also examined.
Issues surounding treatment and rehabilitation of chronic mentally ill patients are critically explored and recommendations for changes in the care of the chronically mentally ill patient are offered.
KeywordsCommunity Mental Health Center Psychiatric Facility Partial Hospitalization State Psychiatric Hospitalization Anxiety Neurosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Black, B. J. “Rehabilitation of Long-Term Mental Patients—Where is the Asylum?” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MENTAL HEALTH, 6(4): 27–39, 1978.Google Scholar
- Committee on Psychiatry and the Community, “The Chronic Mental Patient in the Community”, GROUP FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF PSYCHIATRY, Vol. 10, Publication 102, 1978.Google Scholar
- Gibson, R. W. “Economic Barriers to patient Reentry into the Community”, JOURNAL OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITALS, 11(1): 16–21, 1979.Google Scholar
- Keith, S. J. “Community Support Systems: Multifaceted Approaches to a Complex Problem”, SCHIZOPHRENIA BULLETIN, 4(3): 316–317, 1978.Google Scholar
- Kiesler, C. “Mental Health Policy as a Field of Inquiry for Psychology”, AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGIST, 35(12) 1066–1080, December.Google Scholar
- NIMH, Mental Health Statistical Note, Vol. 145 13/781, p. 9 Note No. 146 (3/78), p. 4.Google Scholar
- Rapoport, M. “Mental Hospitals: It's a Lockout”, WORLD MEDICINE, 14(9): 37, 1979.Google Scholar
- Silverstein, M. “The Social Consequences of Deinstitutionalization”, JOURNAL OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITALS, 11(1): 12–15, 1979.Google Scholar