Getting the most from program consultation: Guidelines for mental health administrators
- 11 Downloads
An unsuccessful consulting intervention is often to an extent the result of unmet or uncommunicated expectations of the mental health administrator as to the what, when, where, and how of the consultation. while following the preceding guidelines is no guarantee of success, the evidence is clear, both from research (such as the Larsen study) and the experience of practitioners (such as Swift, 1981), that active planning and participating in consulting efforts by mental health administrators and their staffs greatly increases the chance for impact. When dollars for consulting are few, and the need for consulting services is great, the extra effort such involvement entails merits serious consideration.
KeywordsMental Health Community Mental Health Center Management Consultant Consult Service Mental Health Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Backer, T. E., and Glaser, E. M. BIBLIOGRAPHY ON ORGANIZATIONAL CONSULTATION. Los Angeles: Consultation Research Program, 1981.Google Scholar
- Bergner, L. L. The making of a consultation program: Administrative issues and strategies. ADMINISTRATION IN MENTAL HEALTH, 8(4), 237–247.Google Scholar
- Feldman, S. A. management consultant looks at a community mental health center. A summary report. ADMINISTRATION IN MENTAL HEALTH, Fall 1973, 52–72.Google Scholar
- Glaser, E. M. and Backer, T. E. CONSULATION: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK. In press, 1981.Google Scholar
- Hausman, W., and Prosen, H. The mental health administrator as organizational consultant. ADMINISTRATION IN MENTAL HEALTH, 8(3), 177–194.Google Scholar
- Ketterer, Richard F. CONSULTATION AND EDUCATION IN MENTAL HEALTH. PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS. Beverly Hills: Sage, 1981.Google Scholar
- Larson, J. K., Norris, E. L., and Kross, J. CONSULTATION AND ITS OUTCOME: COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH CENTERS. Palo Alto, Calif.: American Institutes for Research, 1976.Google Scholar
- Norris, E. L. GETTING THE MOST FROM POGRAM-ORIENTED MENTAL HEALTH CONSULTATION. Palo Alto, Calif.: American Institutes for Research, 1978.Google Scholar
- Spaner, F. Preparation of community mental health center consultants: Observations from the NIMH technical assistance program. CONSULTATION, 1981, 1(1), 33.Google Scholar
- Swift, D. Using consultants in community mental health centers. CONSULTATION, 1(1), 28–32.Google Scholar