Gene product expression of cyclin D2 and p16 during the transition from cardiac myocyte hyperplasia to hypertrophy
- 31 Downloads
The current study was to investigate mRNA expression of cyclin D2 and p16 during the transition from cardiac myocyte hyperplasia to hypertrophy. Cultured cardiac myocytes (CM) and fibroblasts (FC) obtained from 1-day-old Sparague-Dawley rats were used in this study. We have determined (1) hyperplasia by cell growth curve and fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS); and (2) ultrastructure by electron microscope observation; and (3) expresions of cyclin D2 mRNA and p16 mRNA by using in situ hybridization and image analysis. The results were shown (1) Results of cell growth curve and FACS analysis showed CM could proliferate in the first 3 cultured days (4 days in postnatal development). But the ability decreased quickly, concomitant with the differentiation. (2) The ultrastructure of CM showed the large amount of myofilaments and mitochondrion and FC showed moderate amount of rough endoplasmic reticulum. (3) The expression of cyclin D2 mRNA in 3−, 4−, 5−day CM group was 0.89 times (p<0.05), 0.80 times (p<0.05) and 0.56 times (p<0.01) of that in 1-day group respectively. P16 mRNA in 2−, 3−, 4−, 5−day CM group were 1.63 times (p<0.01), 1.72 times (p<0.01), 1.99 times (p<0.01) and 2.84 times (p<0.01) of that in 1−day group respectively. It can be concluded that cultured neonatal rat cardiac myocytes could proliferate during the first 3 cultured days, but the ability of proliferation decreased, from the fourth day, concomitant with differentiation. Cyclin D2 and p16 have the key roles during the transition from myocyte hyperplasia to hypertrophy.
Key Wordscyclins gene p16 hyperplasia cardiac myocytes rat
CLC numberR 361.3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burton P B J, Yacoub M H, Barton P J R. Cell Cycle Regulatory Molecule Expression During Heart Development.J Mol Cell Cardiol, 1997,29: A41.Google Scholar
- Swafford D S, Middleton S K, Palmisano W A,et al. Frequent Aberrant Methylation of P16INK4a in Primary Rat Lung Tumors.Mol Cell Biol, 1997,17: 1366–1374.Google Scholar
- Simpson P, Savion S. Differentiation of Rat Myocytes in Single Cell Cultures with and Without Proliferating Nonmyocardial Cells.Circ Res, 1982,50: 101–116.Google Scholar
- Yao J L, Eghbalim. Response of Cardiac Firoblasts to Thyroid Hormonein vitro.Circ Res, 1992,71: 831–839.Google Scholar
- Grana X, Reddy E P. Cell Cycle Control in Mammalian Cells: Role of Cyclins, Cyclin Dependent Kinases (CDKs), Growth Suppressor Genes and Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitors (CKIs).Oncogene, 1995,11: 211–219.Google Scholar
- Quelle D E, Ashmun R A, Hannon G J,et al. Cloning and Characterization of Murine P16INK4a and P15INK4b Genes.Oncogene, 1995,11: 635–645.Google Scholar