Synthesis of 4-aminodiphenylamine by electroreducing alkaline solutions of a sodium salt of 4-nitrosodiphenylamine
- 40 Downloads
Conditions for the synthesis of 4-aminodiphenylamine (I) by electroreducing a 1 M solution of a sodium salt of 4-nitrosodiphenylamine (II) in a 5-% alkali solution are found. The electroreduction is carried out on the copper and stainless-steel cathodes with a continuous extraction of the product into a water-immiscible solvent. Variations in the alkali concentration, current density, and temperature have no effect on the yield of I, which is almost quantitative. The current efficiency increases with the temperature and approaches 60% at 60–70°C on a copper cathode. Copper and stainless-steel cathodes and stainless-steel anodes are sufficiently stable in the 4-aminodiphenylamine electrosynthesis.
KeywordsSodium Salt Current Efficiency Alkali Concentration Copper Cathode Organic Admixture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Popova, N.G., Arkhipova, T.A., Novikov, V.T., and Avrutskaya, I.A., Abstracts of Papers,XIV Soveshchanie po elektrokhimii organicheskikh soedinenii (XIV Meeting on the Electrochemistry of Organic Compounds), Novocherkassk, 1998, p. 88.Google Scholar
- 2.Avrutskaya, I.A., Sarsenbaeva, G.M., Tsar’kov, P.D., and Fioshin, M.Ya.,Elektrokhimiya, 1978, vol. 14, p. 478.Google Scholar
- 3.Popova, N.G., Shanina, O.V., Novikov, V.T., and Avrutskaya, I.A.,Elektrokhimiya, 1998, vol. 34, p. 1129.Google Scholar
- 4.Perrin, D.D.,Stability Constants of Metal-Ion Complexes. Part B: Organic Ligands, New York: Pergamon, 1979.Google Scholar
- 5.Sposoby zashchity oborudovaniya ot korrozii: Spravochnoe rukovodstvo (Corrosion Protection of Machinery: A Practical Guidebook), Strokan, B.V. and Sukhotin, A.M., Eds., Leningrad: Khimiya, 1987.Google Scholar