Experimental study of velocity spread in a cycloiding electron beam
- 19 Downloads
The paper describes briefly the effect of electron velocity spread on the principal operating parameters of a gyrotron. A method of reducing velocity spread is discussed, and a new method of measuring electron velocity spread in a cycloiding electron beam is presented. By use of a high precision radial-gauge and multilobe collector, the distribution of the beam transverse velocity of a gyrotron is accurately measured. Compared with other methods conventionally used in this country and abroad such as those using retarding-field, pin-hole collector, this method is characterized by the fact that the space charge effect would not modify the experimental results, and the beam velocity spread of a gyrotron under real operating conditions can be measured. In order to characterize the beam in an overall manner, a new concept of relative density velocity spread is introduced in this paper. The experimental work has been performed on a special electron beam analyser with advanced design.
KeywordsElectron Beam Transverse Velocity Cathode Region Magnetic Field Distribution Velocity Spread
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. E. Read and K. R. Chu, IEDM, 1980, p. 172.Google Scholar
- Introduction to Gyrotrons. Varian Company, 1980.Google Scholar
- ю. В. Быков,Изб. Вузоб-Рабиофизика,18 (1975), 1066.Google Scholar
- Е. Г. Шустин,Изб. Вузоб-Ра∂иофизика,13 (1970), 1800.Google Scholar
- Щ. Е. Цимранг,Изб. Бузоб-Ра∂уофизика 15 (1972), 1247.Google Scholar
- Е. Г. Авдощин,Изб. Вузоб-Ра∂иофизика,16, (1973), 605.Google Scholar
- И. И. Антаков,Изб. Вузоб-Ра∂иофизика,18 (1975), 1196.Google Scholar
- K. W. Arnold et al., ORNL/SUB-33200/1, Hughes, 1980.Google Scholar
- И. В. Алямовский, Электронные Пучки и Электронные Пущки, Москва, 1966.Google Scholar