Allergies in North India
- 24 Downloads
Study of major allergic disorders as seen in hospital setting in north India shows that bronchial asthma with or without rhinitis is the predominant allergic illness followed by allergic rhinitis. Atopic dermatitis is seen only in a few cases. In asthma, illness is generally mild to moderate and occasionally severe. The usual age of onset of symptoms is under 5 years of age. Males are more commonly affected than females. Family history of allergy is present in about 50% of the patients. Both perennial and seasonal symptoms are seen equally in children suffering from asthma. The laboratory and clinical tests which are useful are outlined. When properly instituted in well selected patients, immunotherapy helps relieve symptoms to a large extent both in asthma and rhinitis.
Key wordsAllergy in children Bronchial asthma Rhinitis Investigations in allergy Immunotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Ellis EF:In, Nelson’s Text book of Pediatries Ed. Vaughan VC, Mckay RJ, Behrman, RE. WB Saunders, 1979, Philadelphia, pp 626, 627Google Scholar
- 6.Manchanda SS, Bawa YS, Singh H: Bronchonasal allergy in children. Indian J Child Health 7: 9, 1958Google Scholar
- 7.Kumar L, Patil AS, Walia BNS: Clinical profile of bronchial asthma in children living in and around Chandigarh. Indian Pediatr 11: 273, 1968Google Scholar
- 9.Speer F: The Allergic Child, Hoeber Medical division, Harper & Row Publisher, New York, Evarston and London, 1965, p. 318Google Scholar
- 10.Bray GW: Recent Advances in Allergy, 3rd Ed. Blakiston, Philadelphia, 1937Google Scholar
- 11.Williams HE, McNicol KN: Spectrum of asthma in children. Ped Clin North Am 22: 622, 1964Google Scholar
- 15.Kumar L:In, Recent Advances in Allergology and Applied Immunology, Ed. Oehling A, Glazer I, Mathow E, Arbesman C, Pergamon Press, U.K. 1980, p 690Google Scholar
- 17.Patil AS, Kumar L: Bronchial inhalation as a diagnostic aid in children with pollen induced respratory allergy. Indian Pediatr 11: 49, 1974Google Scholar
- 19.Kumar L: New Developments in Pediatric Research Vol 2. Ed. Ghai OP. Interprint 1977, New Delhi p 589Google Scholar