Van der Waals coefficients and cohesive energies of lead chalcogenides
- 101 Downloads
The cohesive energies of PbS PbSe and PbTe, having NaCl type of crystal structure, are calculated using the generalized Huggins-Mayer form (GHM) for the Born repulsion energy. The van der Waals interactions (VDW) are estimated from the London and Mayer formulae and compared with those estimated from the Slater-Kirkwood variational method. The cohesive energies calculated adopting the VDW coefficients calculated from the later method are in good agreement with the experimental values. The difference between the experimental cohesive energies and the calculated, assuming variational method, are 2·26, 2·97 and 3·75 eV respectively for PbS, PbSe and PbTe which are in good agreement with the reported values for the covalent bonding correction using Heitler-London-Lowdin method (HLL) which are respectively 2·1, 2·9 and 3·3 eV (Tanaka and Morita 1979).
KeywordsLead chalcogenides van der Waals interactions variational method Huggins-Mayer form of Born repulsion cohesive energy covalent bonding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal S C, Sharma H P and Jai Shankar 1978Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 16 438Google Scholar
- Dekker A J 1969 Solid state physics MacmillanGoogle Scholar
- Harvey K B and Porter G B 1972 Introduction to physical inorganic chemistry Addison-Wesley 3rd Ed.Google Scholar
- Jogi S and Tripathi B B 1975Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 13 427Google Scholar
- Margenau H 1971 Intermolecular forces (New York: Pergamon Press)Google Scholar
- Novikova S I and Abikosov N Kh 1964Sov. Phys. Solid State 5 Google Scholar
- Parkinson D H and Quarrington J E 1954Proc. Phys. Soc. A67 567Google Scholar
- Tosi M P 1964 Solid state physics Vol. 16 (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Waddington T C 1959 Advances in inorganic chemistry and radiochemistry Vol. 1 (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar