Enhancement of growth and antibiotic titre inCephalosporium acremonium induced by sesame oil
- 60 Downloads
The role of sesame oil as part of the carbon source on growth and cephalosporin C production byCephalosporium acremonium was studied in shake-flask fermentation. The growth and antibiotic production were maximum on the fifth and sixth day, respectively, irrespective of the presence of sesame oil. Sesame oil enhanced cephalosporin C production by 54%. Analysis of fatty acid profile indicated that C18∶1, C18∶2 and C18∶3 are the major fatty acids inC. acremonium. The percentage of C18∶2 was higher in the culture grown with sesame oil.
KeywordsNASH Fatty Acid Profile Methyl Oleate Major Fatty Acid Antibiotic Production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Demain A.L.: Biosynthesis of β-lactam antibiotics, pp. 189–228 inAntibiotics Containing the β-Lactam Structure, Vol. 1 (A.L. Demain, N.A. Solomon, Eds). Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1983.Google Scholar
- Mattil K.F., Norris F.A., Stirton A.J., Swern D.: Composition and characteristics of individual fats and oils, pp. 165–248 inBailey's Industrial Oil and Fat Products (D. Swern, Ed.). John Wiley & Sons, New York 1964.Google Scholar
- Nash C.H., III,Mehta R.J., Ball C.:Cephalosporium acremonium: A β-lactam antibiotic producing microbe, pp. 433–448 inBiology of Industrial Microorganisms (A.L. Demain, N.A. Solomon, Eds). The Benjamin/Cummings Publ. Co., USA 1985.Google Scholar
- Paul S., Bezbaruah R.L., Roy M.K., Ghosh A.C.: Production of cephalosporin C byCephalosporium acremonium. Effect of media constituents in shake flask fermentationProc. MICON International & 35th Ann. Conf. Assoc. Microbiologists (India), p. 33 (1994).Google Scholar
- Schneider W.: Phosphorous compounds in animal tissues. I. Extraction and estimation of deoxypentose nucleic acid.J. Biol. Chem. 161, 293–295 (1945).Google Scholar
- Zanca D.M., Martin J.F.: Carbon catabolite regulation of the conversion of penicillin N into cephalosporin C.J. Antibiot. 36, 700–708 (1983).Google Scholar