Degradation of fenitrothion byBacillus stearothermophilus adhering to silica
- 25 Downloads
B. stearothermophilus strain AG-49, when cultivated in mineral medium in the presence of silica (SA), adhered to SA. Adhesion depended on age of culture, contact time and glucose concentration of the culture medium. Mid-exponential phase culture (5 h) required minimum contact time (30 min) for maximum adhesion. 0.6% glucose concentration was optimum. Quantitative variation in protein and saccharide extractable in sodium chloride and sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) was observed. Five % degradation of fenitrothion by adherentB. stearothermophilus could be achieved in 4 d.
KeywordsSodium Dodecyl Sulfate Malathion Fenitrothion Bacillus Stearothermophilus Drinking Water Supply System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Block J.C.: Biofilm in drinking water systems, pp. 15–41 inBiofilm—Science and Technology (L.F. Melo, T.R. Bort, M. Fletcher, B. Capdeville, Eds). Kluwer-Academic Press, Dordrecht 1992.Google Scholar
- Casterton J.W., Geesey G.G., Cheng K.J.: How bacteria sticks.Sci. Am.238, 86–95 (1978).Google Scholar
- Fletcher M., McEldowney S.: Microbial attachment of nonbiological surface, pp. 124–129 inCurrent Perspectives in Microbial Ecology (M.J. Klug, C.A. Reddy, Eds). American Society of Microbiology, Washington (DC) 1984.Google Scholar
- Geesey G.G.: Microbial exopolymer—ecological and economical considerations.ASM News48, 9–14 (1982).Google Scholar
- Hartley D., Kidd H. (Eds):Agrochemicals Handbook, pp. 149–150. Royal Society of London, Nottingham (England) 1983.Google Scholar
- Holah J.T., Kearney L.R.: Introduction to biofilm in food industry, pp. 5–14 inBiofilm—Science and Technology (L.F. Melo, T.R. Bort, M. Fletcher, B. Capdeville, Eds). Kluwer-Academic Press, Dordrecht 1992.Google Scholar
- Recault Y.: Treatment of distillary waste water using anaerobic down flow stationary fixed film reactor: performance of a large plant in operation fo four years.Water Sci. Tech.22, 361–372 (1990).Google Scholar
- Roy M.K., Guha A., Kumari B., Bora T.C., Ghosh A.C.: Pesticide degradation characteristics, plasmid profile and degradative efficiency of facultative anaerobes.Internat. Symp. Trends in Microbiology, Calcutta (India) (1995).Google Scholar
- Rusten B., Qdegaard H., Lundar A.: Treatment of dairy waste water in a novel moving bed biofilm reactor.Water Sci. Tech.26, 703–711 (1992).Google Scholar