Direct selection shuttle plasmid vector, pPW264, used for cloning the α-amylase gene ofSchwanniomyces occidentalis
We constructed a novel cloning system with positive selection for inserted fragments. The gene for tetracycline resistance (tet R) originally used in plasmid pTR262 was replaced with the gene for chloramphenicol acetyltransferase (cat) and terminator sequences were introduced downstream of thecat gene. The terminator sequences stop transcription originating on strongP R promoter that would otherwise proceed through the region of replication origin and interfere with plasmid replication. Thus the copy number of recombinant plasmid molecules is stabilized. The cloning system has been constructed in a new YEp type shuttle vector, pPW264. The 8.1 kb-vector carries two unique cloning sites,Bg/II andHindIII. The maintenance of the vector and selection in yeast is ensured byURA 3 Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene. The vector was employed in cloning of the gene for α-amylase fromSchwanniomyces occidentalis.
KeywordsShuttle Vector Tetracycline Resistance Cloning System Plasmid Replication Chloramphenicol Acetyltransferase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cryer D.R., Eccleshall R., Marmur J.: Isolation of yeast DNA.Cell Biol. 12, 39–44 (1975).Google Scholar
- Maniatis T., Fritsh E.F., Sambrook J.: Molecular Cloning.A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, 1982.Google Scholar
- Maraz A., Ferenczy L.: Mating/type independent protoplast fusion inSaccharomyces cerevisiae, pp. 35–45 in J.F. Peberdy (Ed.).Protoplast-Applications in Microbial Genetics. Department of Botany, University of Nottinghamm, Nottinghamm 1979.Google Scholar
- Stephenson F.H., Kuhn I.: Plasmid positive selection vectors, pp. 131–152 in R.L. Rodrigues, D.T. Denhardt (Eds);A Survey of Molecular Cloning Vectors and Their Uses. Butterworths. Boston 1987.Google Scholar
- Trukhan M.E., Mochulsky A.V., Lebedeva M.I., Lapidus A.L., Podkovyrov S.M., Mashko S.V.: Construction and studies on the stability stability of vector molecules for expression of heterologous genes controlled by highly efficientE. coli and coliphage promoters (In Russian).Biotechnologiya 4 325–334 (1988).Google Scholar