Elastic constants of a monocrystalline nickel-base superalloy
The interest in using a monocrystalline superalloy for turbine blades makes it imperative to understand the elastic response of the monocrystalline superalloy under external stress. While the elastic response in the direction of loading is well known for monocrystals, the transverse response under longitudinal loading is not well characterized. The present work presents an experimental measurement and an analytical treatment for characterizing the transverse elastic response under longitudinal loading. The work indicates that the transverse elastic response, in general, is sinusoidal. The in-plane transverse direction, therefore, affects the elastic deformation in the transverse direction under unit longitudinal load, and a proper choice of the in-plane crystallographic direction minimizes the in-plane transverse strain. By fitting the experimental data to an analytical equation, the elastic constants can be obtained from a cylindrical monocrystal of arbitrary axial orientation.
KeywordsMetallurgical Transaction Elastic Constant Turbine Blade Elastic Response Transverse Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.H. Kear and B.J. Piearcey:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1967, vol. 239, p. 1209.Google Scholar
- 2.G.R. Leverant and B.H. Kear:Metall. Trans., 1970, vol. 1, p. 491.Google Scholar
- 3.J. F. Nye:Physical Properties of Crystals, Oxford University Press, Ely House, London, 1957, p. 148.Google Scholar
- 4.J.F. Nye: ibid., Oxford University Press, Ely House, London, 1957, p. 145.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Ono and R. Stern:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1969, vol. 245, p. 171.Google Scholar
- 6.H.B. Huntington:Solid State Physics — Advances in Research and Applications, Academic Press, 1958, vol. 7, p. 213.Google Scholar
- 7.J.R. Neighbours, F. W. Bratten, and C.S. Smith:JAP, 1952, vol. 23, p. 389.Google Scholar
- 8.J.H. Laflen, P.A. Domas, and M. L. Roberts: Advanced Blade and Vane Materials Life Method, IRD report, AEBG, General Electric Co., March 31, 1982.Google Scholar