Improved operating policies for multipurpose use: A case study of Bhadra Reservoir
- 32 Downloads
The operation of Bhadra reservoir project is studied using optimization (overyear and within year storage model) and simulation (with both historic and synthetically generated monthly streamflows) based on a 52-year record of monthly inflow data for irrigation and hydropower generation. Bed turbine operation is found to be the key issue in maximizing the total hydropower production. The reservoir operation is studied for thirteen different policies of bed turbine operation using simulation. These simulation runs are carried out for a specified irrigation demand with historic data. The probability distribution of the maximum possible hydropower production is arrived at by simulating the reservoir operation with 4 different sets of synthetically generated monthly streamflows, each having sequences of different lengths, for two promising policies. A comparison of results made with the actual operation over a 11-year period shows that substantial increase in the total hydropower generation is possible with the identified policies without undue deficits in meeting the specified irrigation demands.
KeywordsBhadra Reservoir operating policies hydropower generation optimization and simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beik S E, Yun-Sheng Yu 1984J. Water Resour. Planning Manage. Div., Am. Soc. Civil. Eng. 110: 1–14Google Scholar
- Fiering M B, Jackson B B 1971 Synthetic Streamflows, Water Resources Monograph No. 1, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Fults D M, Hancock L F 1972J. Hydraul. Div., Am. Soc. Civ. Eng. 98(HY9): 1497–1514Google Scholar
- Hall W A, Butcher W S, Esogbue A 1968Water Resour. Res. 4: 471–477Google Scholar
- Loucks D P, Stedinger J R, Haith D A 1981Water resource systems planning and analysis (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall)Google Scholar
- Mobasheri F, Harboe R C 1970Water Resour. Res. 6: 22–31Google Scholar
- Mohan S 1983A systems study for the operation of multipurpose Bhadra Reservoir Project, M.E. Dissert., Indian Inst. Sci., BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Shrestha V S 1976Optimal operation for multipurpose use of Bhadra Reservoir. M.E. Dissert., Indian Inst. Sci., BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Water Management Division 1971 A guide for estimating irrigation water requirements, Tech. Series 2, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, New DelhiGoogle Scholar