Magneto-visco-elastic surface waves in stressed conducting media
- 26 Downloads
The present paper is concerned with magneto-visco-elastic surface waves in conducting media involving time rate of strain and stress of first order, the media being under an initial stress of hydrostatic tension or compression. The theory of magneto-visco-elastic surface waves in a conducting medium involving time rate of strain and stress of first order is derived under an initial stress. The above general theory is then employed to characterise Rayleigh, Love and Stoneley waves. Results obtained in the above cases reduce to well-known classical results when viscosity and magnetic field are absent.
KeywordsMagneto-visco-elastic first order surface waves initial stress hydrostatic tension or compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Acharya D P, Sengupta P R 1978 Magneto-thermo-elastic surface waves in initially stressed conducting media.Acta Geophys. Polon. 26(4):Google Scholar
- Bland D R 1960The theory of linear visco-elasticity (London: Pergamon) (This monograph on the subject contains many cases of stress analysis)Google Scholar
- Chadwick P 1957 Elastic wave propagation in a magnetic field.IX Congress Int. Mech. Appl. 7: 143–158Google Scholar
- Das T K, Sengupta P R 1990b Surface waves in thermo-visco-elastic media considering time rate of stress and strain of higher order.Gerlands Beitr. Geophys. Leipzig 99: 337–448Google Scholar
- Das T K, Sengupta P R 1992 Effect of gravity on visco-elastic surface waves in solids involving time rate of strain and stress of first order.Sādhanā 17: 315–323Google Scholar
- Flugge W 1967Visco-elasticity (London: Blaisdell)Google Scholar
- Hunter S C 1960Visco-elastic waves. Progress in solid mechanics (eds) I N Snedon, R Hill (Amsterdam, New York: North Interscience)Google Scholar
- Jeffreys H 1959The earth 4th edn (Cambridge: University Press)Google Scholar
- Roy S K, Sengupta P R 1983a Rotatory vibration of a sphere of general visco-elastic solid.Gerlands Beitr. Geophys. Leipzig 92: 70–76Google Scholar
- Roy S K, Sengupta P R 1983b Radial vibration of a sphere of general visco-elastic solid.Gerlands Beitr. Geophys. Leipzig 92: 435–442Google Scholar
- Voigt W 1887 Theoretische Studien uber die Elasticitats Verhaltnisse der Krystalle.Abh. Ges. Wiss. Gottingen 34Google Scholar