Solar pond technology
Solar pond technology has made substantial progress in the last fifteen years. This paper reviews the basic principles of solar ponds and the problems encountered in their operation and maintenance. The factors which influence the technical and economic viability of solar ponds for thermal applications and power generation have been discussed.
KeywordsSolar ponds renewable energy solar energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akbarzadeh A 1984 A further study on the effect of sloping walls and the included instabilities on the operation of solar ponds.Proceedings Australia and New Zealand Sec., International Solar Energy Society, Auckland, New Zealand, 212-S2/44-AAGoogle Scholar
- Fynn R P, Short T H 1983 Solar ponds. Special Circular 106, The Ohio State University, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Centre, Wooster, Ohio, February 1983Google Scholar
- Hull J R, Nielsen C E, Golding P 1989Salinity gradient solar ponds (Boca Raton, fl: crc Press)Google Scholar
- Hull J R, Scranton A B, Kasze K E 1985 Solar pond heat removal using a submerged heat exchanger.Proceedings, International Solar Energy Society (Montreal) (New York: Pergamon) p. 1505Google Scholar
- Lesino G, Saravia L, Mangussi J, Caso R 1982 Operation of a 400m2 sodium sulfate solar pond in Saita, Argentina.Int. Solar Pond Lett. 1: 12Google Scholar
- Nielsen C E 1980 Nonconvective salt-gradient solar ponds. InSolar energy technology handbook (eds) W C Dickinson, P N Cheremisinoff (New York: Marcel Dekker)Google Scholar
- Nielsen C E 1983 Experience with heat extraction and zone boundary motion.Proceedings American Solar Energy Society (Minneapolis) p. 405Google Scholar
- Ortabasi U, Dyksterhuis F 1985 Experience with honeycomb stabilized solar ponds for heat and power generation.Proceedings, International Solar Energy Society (Montreal) (New York: Pergamon) p. 1485–88Google Scholar
- Patel S M, Gupta C L 1981 Experimental solar pond in a hot humid climate.Sunworld 5: 115–118Google Scholar
- Rao K S, Kishore V V N 1989 Power generation from solar ponds. InTechno-economics of renewable energy power generation system (eds) K S Rao, V V N Kishore, N K Bansal (New Delhi: Sarita)Google Scholar
- Srinivasan J 1985 Construction and performance of an experimental solar pond. kscst report 85 sp1Google Scholar