Subspaces ofl p N of small codimension
In this paper the structure of subspaces and quotients ofl p N of dimension very close toN is studied, for 1≤p≤∞. In particular, the maximal dimensionk=k(p, m, N) so that an arbitrarym-dimensional subspaceX ofl p N contains a good copy ofl p k , is investigated form=N−o(N). In several cases the obtained results are sharp.
KeywordsBanach Space Convex Body Dimensional Subspace Universal Constant Isomorphic Copy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B1]J. Bourgain,Subspaces of L N∞, arithmetical diameter and Sidon sets, inProbability in Banach Spaces V, Proc. Medford 1984, Lecture Notes in Math.1153, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985, pp. 96–127.Google Scholar
- [B2]J. Bourgain,A remark on the Behaviour of L p-multipliers and the range of operators acting on Lp-spaces, Israel J. Math., this issue.Google Scholar
- [B-K-T]J. Bourgain, N. Kalton and L. Tzafriri,Geometry of finite-dimensional subspaces and quotients of L p, inGeometric Aspects of Functional Analysis, Israel Seminar 1987–88, eds. J. Lindenstrauss and V. Milman, Lecture Notes in Math.1376, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986, pp. 138–176.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [B-T.2]J. Bourgain and L. Tzafriri,Embedding l pk in subspaces of Lp for p > 2, Israel J. Math., to appear.Google Scholar
- [J-S]W. B. Johnson and G. Schechtman,On subspaces of L 1 with maximal distance to Euclidean spaces, Proc. Res. Workshop on Banach Spaces Theory (Bor-Luh-Lin, ed.), 1981, 83–96.Google Scholar