The effect of IL-6 on the des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin synthesis in human hepatoma cells
- 12 Downloads
Effects of several cytokines on des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin (PIVKA II) synthesis in human hepatoma cells were investigated to know the process of PIVKA II production during a liver allograft rejection. Human recombinant interleukin-6 (IL-6) significantly stimulated the PIVKA II synthesis without any influence on the cell proliferation. The effect was almost completely neutralized by the specific anti-IL-6 antibody. Neither tumor necrosis factor (TNF), interleukin-1 (IL-1) nor interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) had such a stimulative effect. IL-6 appears to stimulate PIVKA II production, and would be a candidate of factors that enhance the production of PIVKA II during a liver allograft rejection.
Key wordsIL-6 des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin hepatocellular carcinoma
The abbreviations used
- PFVKA II
tumor necrosis factor
enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Olson RE. The function and metabolism of vitamin K. Ann Rev Nutr 1984;4:284–302.Google Scholar
- 5.Nakao A, Iwaki Y, Iwatsuki S, et al. Significance of PIVKA II determination in human liver transplantation. Acta Hepat Jap 1991;32(supple 1):248. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.Huh N, Utakoji T. Production of HBs-antigen by two new human hepatoma cell lines and its enhancement by dexamethasone. Jpn J Cancer Res 1981;72:178–179.Google Scholar
- 7.Ono M, Ohta H, Ohhira M, et al. Des the impairment of gammacarboxylation have any inhibitory effect on the extracelular excretion of des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin (PIVKA II)? Igaku no Ayumi 1990;152:123–124. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 8.Naraki T, Watanabe K, Shimozuru Y, et al. Development and evaluation of the EIA kit for the detection of PIVKA II using double antibody sandwich system: Monoclonal antibody to PIVKA II and polyclonal antibody to prothrombin. Clin Immunol 1986;18:479–492. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 16.Ono M, Ohta H, Ohhira M, et al. Measurement of imunoreactive prothrombin precursor and vitamin K-dependent gammacarboxylation in human hepatocellular carcinoma tissues: Decreased carboxylation of prothrombin precursor as a cause of des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin synthesis. Tumor Biol 1990;11: 319–326.Google Scholar
- 23.Ohhira M, Ono M, Kohda H, et al. Effects of dibutyryl cyclic AMP for secretion of PIVKA II from Hu-Hl cells. Jpn J Gastroenterol 1991;88:2728. (in Japanese)Google Scholar