Effects of dietary selenite, copper, and zinc on tissue trace mineral levels in chicks
- 32 Downloads
Studies were conducted to determine whether nutritional selenium (Se) status affects the nutritional status of the chick with respect to other trace elements, particularly copper (Cu) and Zinc (Zn). Severe Se deficiency was produced in chicks by the use of diets that contained exceedingly low contents (less than 0.010 ppm) of Se, but contained adequate amounts of all other known essential nutrients. This diet was based upon corn and soybean meal produced in areas of China with endemic Se deficiency of geobotanical origin. A level of at least 0.10 ppm Se was found to be required to maintain normal Se status of chicks fed this diet, and Se deficiency resulted in decreased levels of Cu, Zn, and molybdenum in the pancreas (liver and plasma levels were not affected). High dietary supplementation of Zn nor Cu did not affect the short-term utilization of Se, as indicated by the 18-h responses of Se-dependent glutathione peroxidase in plasma and liver.
Index EntriesSelenium, effects of on trace mineral levels glutathione peroxidase zinc, effects of on trace mineral levels copper, effects of on trace mineral levels iron chick
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Chmielnicka, E. Komsta-Syumska, and C. Zareba,Arch. Toxicology 53, 165 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.G. G. Thomson and B. M. Lawson,New Zealand Vet. J. 18, 79 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.L. S. Jenson,J. Nutr. 104, 593 (1974).Google Scholar
- 12.O. E. Olson, I. S. Palmer, and E. E. Cary,J. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem. 58, 117 (1975).Google Scholar
- 13.V. M. Weiser, W. Stockl, and U. Greenspan,Z. Tierphysiol. Tieren. Futtermitt. 20, 16 (1965).Google Scholar
- 16.H. P. Misra and I. Fridovich,J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265 (1951).Google Scholar
- 18.P. Bernfeld,Enzymol. 12, 379 (1951).Google Scholar
- 20.A. H. Cantor, M. L. Langevin, T. N. Noguchi, and M. L. Scott,J. Nutr. 105, 106 (1975).Google Scholar
- 21.J. Tan, D. Zheng, S. Hou, W. Zhu, R. Li, Z. Zhu, and W. Wang, inProceedings of the Third International Symposium on Selenium in Biology and Medicine G. F. Combs, Jr., J. E. Spallholz, O. A. Levander, and J. E. Oldfield, eds., AVI, Westport, CT, 1986.Google Scholar