Drying of water treatment process sludge in a fluidized bed dryer
- 215 Downloads
The drying characteristics of water treatment process (WTP) sludge were investigated with a fluidized bed. The equilibrium moisture ratio of WTP sludge increased with relative humidity and decreased with temperature of drying air. However, equilibrium moisture ratio of WTP sludge was more sensitively dependent on relative humidity than temperature of drying air. When the sludge was dried in a batch fluidized bed, the drying rate of sludge decreased as the moisture ratio of sludge in the bed decreased. The periods of constant drying rates were apparently not observed on the drying rate curves. In addition, the maximum drying rates were increased with bed temperature and superficial air velocity. As the fluidized bed was operated continuously, the degree of drying of WTP sludge increased with bed temperature but was weakly dependent on superficial air velocity. However, the drying efficiency was decreased with bed temperature and relatively insensitive to superficial air velocity and increased with feed rate of sludge.
Key wordsFluidized Bed Dryer Waterworks Sludge Equilibrium Moisture Ratio Drying Rate Drying Efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kunii, D. and Levenspiel, O., “Fluidization Engineering,” 2nd ed., Butterworth-Heinmann, Boston (1991).Google Scholar
- Lee, D. H. and Kim, S. D., “Drying Characteristics of Starch in a Fluidized Bed,” Proc. 3rd Asian Conf. on Fluidized-Bed & Three-Phase Reactors, Kyungju, Korea, 533 (1992).Google Scholar
- Lee, D. H. and Kim, S. D., “Drying Characteristics of PVC Resin in a Inert Medium Fluidized Bed,”HWAHAK KONGHAK,32, 463 (1994).Google Scholar
- Reay, D. and Baker, C. G. J., “Fluidization,” 2nd ed., Davidson, J. F., Clift, R. and Harrison, D., eds., Academic Press, London (1985).Google Scholar
- Shin, Y. S., Hwang, C. S., Kim, T. K., Lee, J. K. and Chun, H. S., Proc. 5th Asian Conf. on Fluidized-Bed & Three-Phase Reactors, Hsitou, Taiwan, 176 (1996a).Google Scholar
- Shin, Y. S., Lee, J. K., Lee, H. T., Jin, K. T. and Chun, H. S., “Measurement of Moisture Distributions in Municipal Sewage Sludge using Drying Curves,”J of KSEE,18(9), 1061 (1996b).Google Scholar
- Tsang, K. R. and Vesilind, P. A., “Moisture Distribution in Sludges,”Wat. Sci. Tech.,22(12), 135 (1990).Google Scholar