Protoplast Fusion of β-Glucosidase-Producing Aspergillus niger Strains
- 55 Downloads
Protoplast fusion, induced by polyethylene glycol and Ca2+, was carried out between two auxotrophic strains ofAspergillus niger. The fusion frequency ranged from 6.2 × 10-2-9.1 × 10-2. After induced haploidization of a diploid, various segregants showing combinations of the parental genetic markers were isolated. Unlike diploids, haploid segregants exhibited greater variations in their morphology and β-glucosidase activities. One segregant showed a 2.5-fold increase in β-glucosidase activity over those of the parents. Thus, this method appears promising for creating new recombinant strains ofA. niger with improved β-glucosidase activities.
Index Entriesβ-glucosidase cellobiose hydrolysis protoplast fusion Aspergillus niger
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mandels, M. (1982),Ann. Rpt. Ferment. Process. 5, 35.Google Scholar
- 3.Helmi, S., Khalil, A. I., Tahoun, M. K., and Khairy, A. H. (1991),Appl. Biochetn. Biotechnol. 28/29, 203.Google Scholar
- 5.Pontecorvo, G., Roper, J. A., Hemmons, L. M., McDonald, K. D., and Bufton, A. W. J. (1953),Adv. Genet. 5, 142.Google Scholar
- 6.Hoh, Y. K., Yeoh, H. H., and Tan, T. K. (1992),Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. (in press).Google Scholar
- 9.Anne, J. and Peberdy, J. F. (1976),J. Gen. Microbiol. 92, 413.Google Scholar
- 12.Herbert, D., Phipps, P. J., and Strange, R. E. (1971), inMethods of Microbiology, vol. 5B, Norris, J. R. and Ribbons, D. W., eds., Academic, New York, pp. 322–328.Google Scholar
- 13.Burton, K. (1956),Biochem. J. 62, 315.Google Scholar
- 16.Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., and Randall, R. J. (1951),J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265.Google Scholar
- 17.Bailey, J. L. (1967), inTechniques in Protein Chemistry, Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 346.Google Scholar
- 19.Peberdy, J. F. (1985), inFungal Protoplasts. Applications in Biochemistry and Genetics Peberdy, J. F. and Ferenczy, L., eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, Basel, pp. 31–44.Google Scholar
- 20.Stagg, C. M. and Feather, M. S. (1973),Biochim. Biophys. Acta 320, 64.Google Scholar