Frequency of pancreatographic changes in subjects with upper abdominal symptoms and its relationship with alcohol intake
- 8 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate the endoscopic retrograde pancreatographic (ERP) findings in respect of alcohol intake. Two hundred eleven patients consecutively submitted to ERP for upper abdominal symptomatology, with suspected pancreatic disease (SPD; 79 patients) or without (NSPD; 132 subjects), were classified in 3 groups of different ethanol intake: 1 (0–40 g/day), 2 (41–80 g/day), 3 (more than 80 g/day). The following conclusions could be drawn: (1) the frequency of ERP changes increases with the increase of alcohol intake both in SPD (34.6–63.8%) and NSPD (8.2–29.8%); (2) the frequency of pancreatic cancer was not related to alcohol intake, but in NSPD it was about 2-fold that in SPD: 12/132 (9.1%) vs 4/79 (5.06%); (3) a pancreatic morphological assessment, by means of ERP or other imaging techniques, should be performed in every subject with upper abdominal pain of unknown origin both in alcoholics (for the high incidence of chronic pancreatitis) and in nonalcoholics (for the risk of pancreatic cancer, which approximates 10%).
Key wordsEndoscopic retrograde pancreatography (ERP) abdominal pain dyspepsia alcohol chronic pancreatitis pancreatic cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bilbao, M.K. and Katon, R.M., Neoplasm of the pancreas. In: E.T. Stewart, J.A. Vennes and J.E. Greenen (Eds.), Atlas of Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-pancreatography, C.V. Mosby St. Louis, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.Sarner, M. and Cotton, P.B., Classification of pancreatitis, Gut, 1984; 25: 756–759.Google Scholar
- 9.Cotton, P.B. and Sarner, M., Pancreatitis-Concepts and Classification. In: K. E. Gyr, M. V. Singer and H. Sarles (Eds.), International Workshop on Pancreatitis, Cambridge, March 1983, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1984: 239–241.Google Scholar
- 10.Kizu, M., Newman, J., Cotton, P.B. and Kasugai, T., Histological correlation with pancreatography in necropsy specimens, Gut, 1977; 18: 399.Google Scholar
- 11.Cotton, P.B., Endoscopic retrograde pancreatography. In: H. Howat and R. Sarles (Eds.), The Exocrine Pancreas, Saunders, London, 1979: 278.Google Scholar
- 12.Braganza, J.M. Hunt, L.P. and Warmick, F., Relationship between pancreatic exocrine function and ductal morphology in chronic pancreatitis, Gastroenterology, 1982; 82: 134.Google Scholar