Phase II protocol for the evaluation of new treatments in patients with advanced gastric carcinoma: results of ECOG 5282
- 34 Downloads
The study was a Phase II randomized study to evaluate the efficacy of new agents for the treatment of advanced gastric carcinoma. Patients were randomized to receive single agent chemotherapy with mitoxantrone, etoposide, aclacinomycin-A or spirogermanium. The patients were stratified by prior use of chemotherapy, prior doxorubicin use and ECOG performance status. Patients with a history of cardiac disease or prior doxorubicin exceeding a dose of 400 mg/m2 were restrictively randomized to sopirogermanium or etoposide only. One hundred and fourteen patients were registered for the study. Among 98 evaluable patients there were only two partial responses (both in the etoposide arm), and one complete response in the mitoxantrone arm. The median survival on the study was 3.3 months. One hundred and six patients were analyzable for toxicity. There were four treatment-related deaths and four life-threatening toxicities. Because of low response rates and relatively high toxicities the studied compounds were not deemed worth further investigation for advanced gastric cancer.
Keywordsgastric cancer chemotherapy etoposide mitoxantrone spirrogermanium aclacinomycin A survival
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Pyrhonen S, Kuitumen T, Kouri M. A randomized phase III triel comparing fluorouracil, epidoxorubicin and methotrexate (FEMTX) with best supportive care in non resectable gastric cancer (Abstract).Ann Oncol 1992;3(2): 12.Google Scholar
- 5.Eagan RT, Carr DT, Frytak S, Rubin J, Lee RE. VP-16-213 versus polychemotherapy in patients with advanced small cell lung cancer.Cancer Treat Rep 1972;60: 949–951.Google Scholar
- 8.McDonald JS, Havlin KA. Etoposide in gastric cancer.Semin Oncol 1992;19(6): Suppl. 13, S49-S62.Google Scholar
- 12.Ogawa Jet al. Clinical study of aclacinomycin A.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1978;1: 259–262.Google Scholar
- 14.Lad TEet al. Phase II Spirogermanium in advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer. An Illinois Cancer Council Study.Invest New Drugs 1989;30: 223–224.Google Scholar
- 16.Presser Pet al. Phase II Study with the combination of etoposide, doxorubixcin and cisplatin n advanced measurable gastric cancer.J Clin Oncol 1989;7: 1310–1317.Google Scholar