A study of secretory immunoglobulin A on membranous epithelial cells (M cells) and adjacent absorptive cells of rabbit Peyer’s patches
- 39 Downloads
Secretory immunoglobulin A (SIgA) on the surface of the membranous epithelial cell (M cell) is present in Peyer’s patches, an important element of gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT). Little information about this immunoglobulin exists except for its scantiness inferred from electron microscopic examination of the relatively thin layer of glycocalyx on the cell surface. This study was undertaken to investigate SIgA on the M cell surface by immunohistochemical observations of specimens from 16-week-old rabbits, using anti-IgA antibody specifically directed toα-chain and anti-SIgA antibody specific to bothα-chain and secretory component (SC). Areas of strongly positive reaction with these antibodies were demonstrable by electron, as well as light microscopy in the glycocalyx layer and on microfolds of M cells, contrasting with the glycocalyx layer and microvilli of the adjacent absorptive cells. The findings were suggestive of an abundant presence of SIgA in the glycocalyx layer and on microfolds of M cells. The results suggested the participation of SIgA on M cell surfaces through a mechanism in which M cells take up intestinal antigens, although the precise role of SIgA on M cells remains unclear.
Key wordsimmunoelectron microscopy immunohistochemistry M cell (Membranous epithelial cell) Peyer’s patches secretory IgA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nagura H, Sumi Y, Nakamura S: An immunohistochemical observation of the interepithelial lymphocytes in human Peyer’s patches and solitary lymphoid follicles. Digestive Organ and Immunology 1987;18:71–75 (in Jpn)Google Scholar
- 2.Shimazui T: An ultrastructural study of the pathway and the location of migrating lymphocytes through the intestinal Microfold cells (M cells). J Clin Electron Microscopy 1985;18:127–140Google Scholar
- 5.Karnovsky MJ: Use of ferrocyanide-reduced osmium tetroxide in electron-microscopy (abstr.), Proceedings 11th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology 1971:146aGoogle Scholar
- 7.Nakane PK, Pierce GB: Enzyme-labeled antibody preparation and application for the localization of antigens. J Histochem Cytochem 1967;14:929–931Google Scholar
- 8.Kanou T: Morphological study of Microfold cells of intestinal lymphoid follicles in Peyer’s patches. Kawasaki Med J 1984;10:181–189Google Scholar
- 9.Schmedtje JF: Some histochemical characteristics of lymphoepithelial cells of the rabbit appendix. Anat Rec 1965;151:412–413Google Scholar
- 10.Schmedtje JF: Fine structure of intercellular lymphocyte clusters in the rabbit appendix epithelium. Anat Rec 1966;154:417Google Scholar
- 15.Hanson LA, Brandtzaeg P: The mucosal defense system. In: Stiehm ER, Fulginiti VA, eds. Immunologie Disorders in Infants and Children. W. B Saunders, Philadelphia. 1980;137–164Google Scholar