Alterations in serum and brain trace element levels after antidepressant treatment
- 219 Downloads
We have studied the effect of chronic treatment with imipramine, citalopram and electroconvulsive shock (ECS) on serum and brain zinc levels in rats. Chronic treatment with citalopram (but not with imipramine or ECS) significantly (approx 20%) increased the serum zinc level. Chronic treatment with both drugs slightly (by approx 10%) increase the zinc level in the hippocampus and slightly decreased it in the cortex, cerebellum and basal forebrain. Calculation of the ratio hippocampus/brain region within each group demonstrated a significantly (approx 20%) higher value after treatment with either imipramine or citalopram. Moreover, chronic ECS induced a significant increase (by 30%) in the zinc level in the hippocampus and also a slight increase (by 11–15%) in the other brain regions. Thus, these different antidepressant therapies induced an elevation of the hippocampal zinc concentration, which indicates a significant role of zinc in the mechanism of antidepressant therapy.
Index entriesAntidepressant drugs ECS zinc level brain serum, rats
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.N.-Y. Huang, R. T. Layer, and P. Skolnick, Is adaptation of NMDA receptors an obligatory step in antidepressant action? InAntidepressants. New pharmacological strategies, P. Skolnick ed., Humana, Totowa, NJ, pp. 125–143 (1997).Google Scholar
- 13.L.E. Hollister, J. G. Csernansky,Clinical Pharmacology of Psychotherapeutic Drugs, 3rd ed., Churchill Livingston, New York (1990).Google Scholar
- 22.J. W. Olney, Role of excitotoxins in developmental neuropathology,APMIS 101 (suppl. 40), 103–112 (1993).Google Scholar
- 24.T. Yoshikawa, M. Ikeda, H. Tomita, A. Kida, T. Kubo, K. Ishikawa, et al., Drug influence on intestinal zinc absorption.Chem. Abstr. 126, 90 (1997).Google Scholar