An acceleration of age-related increases in levels of the β-subunit of nerve growth factor in selected tissues from senescence-accelerated mice (SAM-P/8)
- 31 Downloads
An investigation was made of age-related changes in levels of the β-subunit of nerve growth factor (β-NGF) in selected tissues and of testosterone in serum in senescence-accelerated mice (SAM-P/8) and in the control mice (senesence-resistant mice; SAM-R/1). The concentrations of testosterone in serum were higher in SAM-P/8 than in SAM-R/1 at ages 2 and 4 mo. The level of β-NGF in the thymus from SAM-R/1 increased with age, resulting in a statistically significant difference in its level between mice at ages 2 and 12 mo. By contrast, there was a transient increase in SAM-P/8 at around age 4 mo with a subsequent decrease. Consequently, significant differences were apparent in levels of β-NGF between the two types of mouse at ages 2 and 4 mo. Similar results were obtained in the adrenal gland and testis. Compared to SAM-R/1 at age 2 mo, the average concentrations of β-NGF in the hypophysis were higher in SAM-R/1 at ages 4 and 8 mo and in SAM-P/8 at all ages. In other tissues tested, no remarkable differences were detected. Our present results indicate that, in SAM-P/8, the elevation in levels of β-NGF in the thymus, adrenal gland, testis, and hypophysis occurs in the early period of life compared to the control mice. Possible dysfunction of the disorder of hypophysis is discussed.
Index EntriesNerve growth factor age mice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arai Y., Demura R., and Demura H. (1979) Fundamental and clinical evaluation of125I-testosterone radioimmunoassay kit “EIKEN”.Clin. Endocrinol. 27, 527–531.Google Scholar
- Hosokawa M., Kasai R., Higuchi K., Takeshita S., Shimizu K., Hamamoto H., Honma A., Irino M., Toda K., Matsumura A., Matsushita M., and Takeda T. (1984) Grading score system: A method for evaluation of the degree of senescence accelerated mouse (SAM).Mech. Age. Dev. 26, 91–102.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Katoh-Semba R., Totsuka T., Watanabe K., Kato K., Keino H., and Kashiwamata S. (1991b) A marked reduction in the level of the β-subunit of nerve growth factor in the nervous tissues of mice with muscular dystrophy (dy/dy mice).Biomed. Res. 12, 181–187.Google Scholar
- Shino A., Tsukuda R., Omori R., and Matsuo T. (1987) Histopathologic observations on the senescence-accelerated mice (SAM) reared under specific pathogen free conditions.Acta Path. Jpn. 37, 1465–1475.Google Scholar
- Takeda T. (1987) Senescence-accelerated mice (2).J. Clin. Sci. (Jpn) 23, 345–352.Google Scholar
- Takeda T., Hosokawa M., and Higuchi K. (1991) Senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM): A novel murine model of accelerated senescence.J. Amer. Geriatr. Soc. 39, 911–919.Google Scholar