Cloning of hepatitis C virus genomes and their properties
- 8 Downloads
A random primed lambda gt11-cDNA library was constructed from donors plasma presumably infected by blood-borne non-A, non-B hepatitis (hepatitis C:HC) agent and immunoscreened with serum pooled from patients with acute or chronic HC. Twelve lambda gtll-cDNA clones were isolated that was shown to encode antigens associated specifically with HC infection in Japan as well as in USA. Of these two, as well as another clone which is specific only to Japanese HC infection, have unique nucleotide sequences and were extensively studied. They are not derived from host DNA and have no homology to the sequences of known human viruses including hepatitis A, B and D viruses, Ebstein-Barr virus, coxsackievirus, immunodeficiency virus type 1 or Japanese encephalitis virus. These results suggest that they are derived from the genome of HC agent(s). In addition, of these, one clone seems to encode epitopes derived from both the core and the surface polypeptides of the agent.
Key wordscloning hepatitis C lambda gt11 library RNA virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Linke HK, Amann CW, Schlauder GG: Non-A, non-B hepatitis infection does not result in the production of abundant poly-A-containing messenger RNAs. In: Zuckerman AJ, ed. Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease. Alan R.Liss, Inc, New York. 1988:564–567Google Scholar
- 7.Arima T, Shimomura H, Tsuji T, et al: Serum RNA associated with blood-transmitted non-A, non-B hepatitis. Hepatology 1988;8:1275(abstract).Google Scholar
- 11.Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J: Agarose gel electrophoresis. In: Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J, eds Molecular Cloning. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory: Cold Spring Harbor, 1982:150–172Google Scholar
- 12.Davis LG, Dibner MD, Battey JF: Preparation of DNA from eukaryotic cells In: Davis LG, Dibner MD, Battey JF, eds. Basic Methods in Molecular Biology. Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc., New York: 1986;42–65Google Scholar
- 13.Davis LG, Dibner MD, Battey JF: Preparation of DNA from lambda gt10 and lambda gt11 cDNA clones, ibidIn: 1986:216–273Google Scholar
- 16.Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J: Vectors that express cloned DNA in Escherichia coli. In: Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J, eds Molecular Cloning. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory: Cold Spring Harbor, 1982:403–433Google Scholar
- 17.Davis LG, Dibner MD, Battey JF: Western blot analysis. In: Davis LG, Dibner MD, Battey JF, eds. Basic Methods in Molecular Biology. Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc, New York. 1986:311–314Google Scholar