Morphological study on the motility of the human colon
- 8 Downloads
We tried to make a clear three-dimensional picture of the autonomic nerves in the wall of the human colon, using a Golgi method rarely applied to human materials. At autopsy, sigmoid colon without mucosal lesions were collected from 16 males after sudden death from apoplexy, head injury, or myocardial infarction. These materials were fixed in 10% formalin, impregnated with a modified Golgi method and embedded in celloidin. Then three-dimensional serial sections were made and observed with a light microscope. Many fine nerve fibers formed a plexus in the subserosa, muscular layer, submucosa, and mucosa. The myenteric plexus was made up of rectangular meshes of nerve fiber bundles. However, unlike myenteric plexus, no regular mesh was found in the submucosal plexus. Further, nerve fibers connecting myenteric and submucosal plexus were observed. It may be concluded from these findings that there exist nerve pathways regulating intestinal motility between myenteric and submucosal plexus.
Key Wordsintrinsic nerves Golgi method threedimensional picture human colon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Fukuhara T, et al: On the intestinal intrinsic reflexes. Jpn J Physiol 8: 9, 1958Google Scholar
- 2).Schofield GC: Anatomy of muscular and neural tissues in the alimentary canal, in “Handbook of Physiology” Sec 6, Alimentary Canal, 4, Motility, by Code CF, Am Physiol Soc, Washington DC 1968, p 1579Google Scholar
- 4).Gershon MD: The enteric nervous system: Multiplicity of neurotransmitters outside of the brain, in “Smooth Muscle” by Bülbring E, Brading AF, Jones AW, Tomita T. Arnold, London 1981, p 263Google Scholar
- 9).Sasaki D, et al: Antispasmodic effect of prifinium bromide on the proximal and distal colon in patients with diverticular disease. Gastroenterologia Jpn 16: 344, 1981Google Scholar
- 10).Golgi C: Sulla structura della sostanza grigia del cervello. Gazzetta Medica Italiana 33: 244, 1873Google Scholar
- 13).Narita N, et al: Formalin fixed material and modified Golgi staining. Hirosaki Med J 32: 191, 1980 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 14).Koya G, et al: Rapid method of embedding with celloidin. Hirosaki MedJ 32: 156, 1980 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 17).Ohkubo K: Studies on the intrinsic nervous system of the digestive tract. I. The submucous plexus of guinea-pig. Jpn J Med Sci, 1 Anatomy 6: 1, 1936Google Scholar