Usefulness of antithrombin III and α2-plasmin inhibitor in early differentiation of fulminant hepatitis and severe form of acute hepatitis
- 5 Downloads
To evaluate the usefulness of antithrombin III (AT III) and α2 -plasmin inhibitor (α2PI) in early differential diagnosis of fulminant hepatitis from the severe form of acute hepatitis, the activities of AT III and α2PI were measured in plasma of 15 patients with fulminant hepatitis and 6 patients with severe form of acute hepatitis. The activities of prothrombin time (PT), hepaplastintest (HPT) and thrombotest (TT) were also evaluated. The mean values and the standard errors (SE) for PT, HPT and TT were 21.1 ±2.6%, 14.0 ±1.6% and 10.3 ±1.7%, respectively, in the early stage of fulminant hepatitis and 25.3 ±2.4%, 21.6 ±4.6% and 15.8 ±3.6%, respectively, in the severe form of acute hepatitis. No significant difference in the tests between these two diseases was noted. On the other hand, the mean values ±SE for AT III and α2PI were 13.7 ±4.6% and 25.6 ±8.6% in fulminant hepatitis and 70.2 ±28.5% and 98.7 ±9.7% in the severe form of acute hepatitis. A significant difference between the two diseases was observed. From the above, it is concluded that measuring AT III and α2Pl along with PT, HPT and TT is useful for early diagnosis of fulminant hepatitis.
Key wordsfulminant hepatitis severe form of acute hepatitis AT HI α2PI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).Owren PA: Blood coagulation in liver diseases. Blood & Vessel 8: 1, 1977Google Scholar
- 3).Yamashina A: Experimental and clinical studies on blood coagulation in liver diseases. Acta Hepatologica Jpn l7:425, 1976 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 4).Quick AJ: Prothrombin in hemophilia and in obstructive jaundice. J Biol Chem 109: 73, 1935Google Scholar
- 5).Owren PA, et al: Normotest. Farmakoterapi 25: 14, 1969Google Scholar
- 7).Clauss A: Gerinnungsphysiologische Schnellmethode zur Bestimmung des Fibrinogens. Acta Haem 17: 237, 1957Google Scholar
- 9).Fujimaki M, et al: Immunological determination of FDP. Clinical Immunology 6: 557, 1974 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 12).Iwabuchi S, et al: Clinical significance of antithrombin III activity in liver disease. Blood & Vessel 12: 412, 1981 (Jpn)Google Scholar