Inhibitory action of enprostil (4,5-dehydro-16-phenoxy-17,18,19,20-tetranor-PGE2) on tetra-gastrin stimulated acid secretion in human subjects
- 5 Downloads
A double-blind study was conducted to examine the effect of enprostil on tetra-gastrin stimulated gastric acid secretion in twelve healthy male volunteers. Each subject underwent four tests in random order on separate days with oral doses of 15, 25, 35 μg enprostil and placebo. After measuring basal secretion and gastrin release, tetra-gastrin was injected intramuscularly. Gastric secretion and gastrin release were measured over the next two hours. Enprostil dose-dependently inhibited tetragastrin stimulated gastric secretion volume, acid and pepsin output. There were significant differences in gastric acid secretion inhibition between the 15 and 25 μg doses, and the 15 and 35 μg doses, but only a slight dose response was seen between the 25 and 35 μg doses with no significant difference. Serum gastrin level was not influenced by the administration of enprostil. No side effects attributed to enprostil were observed throughout the study.
Key wordsAcid Enprostil Gastric secretion Gastrin Pepsin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shay H, Sun DCH: Etiology and pathology of gastric and duodenal ulcer. Gastroenterology 2nd Ed vol I WBSaunders, London. 1964;420Google Scholar
- 5.Yamagata S, Ishimori A, Sato D, et al: A report of gastric juice measurement study committee: standard gastric juice test method and gastric juice secretion from normal gastric mucus observed by endoscopy. Jpn J Gastroenterol 1983;80: 289–293 (in Jpn)Google Scholar
- 6.Niwa H, Nakamura T, Muto H, et al: Inhibitory effect of SC-29333, prostaglandin E1 analogue (misoprostol) on gastric secretion, part II: inhibitory effect on stimulated secretion. J Med Pharm Sci 1986;15: 145–157 (in Jpn)Google Scholar
- 8.Hongo M, Asaki S, Hirasawa Y: Inhibitory effect of gastric secretion: stimulated secretion. Gendai Iryo 1987;19: 62–65 (in Jpn)Google Scholar
- 9.Kawamura T, Ebina H, Koizumi F, et al: Effect of trimoprostil on gastric secretion. Jpn J Clin Pharmacol Ther 1987;18: 347–362 (in Jpn)Google Scholar