Clinicopathological study of gastric leiomyogenic tumors
- 7 Downloads
Seventy cases of the leiomyogenic tumors were found in 5451 resected stomachs; 49 leimyoma, 17 leiomyosarcoma and 4 Ieiomyoblastoma. These leiomyogenic tumors occupied 40.5% of 173 submucosal tumors of the stomach.
The average age was 51.7 in leiomyoma, 57.3 in leiomyosarcoma and 41.6 in leiomyoblastoma with male predominance.
The leiomyoma and leimyosarcoma were frequently found in the upper 2/3 of the stomach.
The size of the tumors was within 3 cm in diameter in about 80% of leiomyoma with ulcer formation of 10.2% and over 3 cm in about 88% of leiomyosarcoma with ulcer formation of 64.7%.
The classification of the the leiomyogenic tumors into the benign and malignant was occationally difficult. For the diagnosis of the leiomyosarcoma, the number of mitosis, irregularity of nucleus, increase of cellularity and decrease of smooth muscle production were helpful.
Key Wordsgastric tumor submucosal tumor leiomyoma leiomyosarcoma Ieiomyoblastoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Inoue S: Gastric submucosal tumors. Jpn J Gastroenterol 72: 444–451, 1975Google Scholar
- 3).Marshall SF, Cherry JW: Smooth muscle tumors of the alimentary canal. S Clin N Am 34: 719–725, 1955Google Scholar
- 4).Golden T, Stout AP: Smooth muscle tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and retroperitoneal tissues. SGO 73: 784–790, 1941Google Scholar
- 5).Meissner WA: Leiomyoma of the stomach. Arch Pathol 38: 207–212, 1944Google Scholar
- 8).Nakamura K: Pathology of the gastric carcinoma. Kinpodo Tokyo 239p, 1972Google Scholar
- 10).Sano R: Clinical Pathology of the gastric diseases. Igaku Shoin Tokyo, 1974Google Scholar
- 12).Kavlie H: Leiomyomas of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Surgery 71: 842–848, 1972Google Scholar
- 13).Venkat JB: Gastrointestinal leiomyomas. Amer J Gastroenterol 63: 249–255, 1975Google Scholar
- 14).Skandalakis JE, et al: Smooth muscle tumors of the stomach. SGO 110: 209–215, 1960Google Scholar
- 15).Salazer H, Totten RS: Leiomyoblastoma of the stomach. Cancer 25: 176–181, 1970Google Scholar
- 17).Martini JF, et al: Tumours myoides intramurales de lé stomach. Ann Anat Pathol 5: 484–491, 1960Google Scholar