Primary adenosquamous carcinoma of the stomach: Experience of 11 cases and its clinical analysis
- 25 Downloads
During the last 10 years, 11 cases of primary adenosquamous carcinoma of the stomach’were operated on.
Histologically, the specimens from the stomach showed adenocarcinoma with squamous differentiation in all the cases.
All the patients but 1 were males and their average age was 61.2 years.
The duration of illness prior to treatment was relatively long period of time and the chief complaints in over half of the patients were abdominal pain.
Eight cases showed metastases at the time of operation. Metastasis to the regional lymph nodes was observed in 8 cases and the squamous element was present in 5 of these cases.
There was no operative death. Followup study was made in 9 cases. Only 2 are still alive and the remaining 7 died of recurrence. The length of survival averaged 10.7 months.
Key Wordsgastric carcinoma adenosquamous carcinoma adenoacanthoma follow-up study clinical analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Rabson S M: Adenosquamous cell carcinoma of intestine (combined adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma) — report of case with review of literature. Arch Path 21: 308–319, 1936Google Scholar
- 3).Herxheimer G: Ueber heterologe Cancroide. Beitr Path Anat 41: 348–412, 1907Google Scholar
- 4).Gauthier-Villars P, et al: Cancer gastrique à type d’épithélioma malpighien spino-cellulaire. Ann Anat Path 16:1065–1067, 1940Google Scholar
- 5).Oberling C, et al: Sur un cas d’épithélioma polymorphe (glandulaire, ápidermoide et myxoide) du pylore. Bul Ass Franc Cancer 16: 68–78, 1927Google Scholar
- 6).The general rules for the gastric cancer study in surgery and pathology. 9th Edition, by Japanese Research Society For Gastric Cancer, Kanehara Shuppan Co Ltd, Tokyo and Kyoto, 1974 p 32–43, (in Jpn)Google Scholar
- 8).Takagi C: Ein Fall von Adenokankroid des Magens. Gann 31: 173–176, 1937Google Scholar
- 12).Wood D A: Adenoacanthoma of the pyloric end of the stomach. A consideration of its histogenesis and a report of two cases. Arch Path 36: 177–189, 1943Google Scholar
- 13).Lubarsch O: Einiges zur Metaplasiefrage. Verhandl deutsch path Gesellsch 10: 198–208, 1907Google Scholar
- 20).Fukuda I, et al: Three cases of primary adenoacanthoma of the stomach. Jap J Cancer Clin 20: 1069–1076, 1974 (in Jpn)Google Scholar