On the mirizzi syndrome —Benign stenosis of the hepatic duct induced by a stone in the cystic duct or the neck of the gallbladder—
- 13 Downloads
Three cases of Mirizzi Syndrome are reported.
One of them was induced by the stone in gallbladder remnant.
On the cholangiogram, one case showed narrowing of common hepatic duct near the porta hepatis, and one case revealed a tapered narrowing-like stenosis. Those findings resembled malignancy but closer examination could differentiate this syndrome from malignancy.
Selective angiography was useful to differentiate the syndrome from malignancy.
Even in the cases where stricture is severe, exstirpation of gallbladder or cystic duct, freeing the anterior wall of extrahepatic bile duct from marked hyperplasia of fibrous tissues and insertion of a T-tube as an internal splint through the stenosis were effective.
It is the opinion of the authors, therefore, that the reconstruction of a strictured bile duct may not necessarily be done by resection of stricture and a hepatojejunostomy.
Key WordsMirizzi syndrome benign stenosis of the common hepatic duct in gallbladder stones
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Mirizzi PL: Sindrome del conducto hepatico. J Int Chir 8: 731, 1948Google Scholar
- 2).Dietrich FK: Die Hepatikusstenose bei Gallenblasenhals- und Zystikussteinen. Bruns’ Beitr Klin Chir 206: 9, 1963Google Scholar
- 3).Clemett AR, et al: The roentgen features of the Mirizzi syndrome. Am J Roent Rad Nucl 94: 480, 1965Google Scholar
- 4).Hess W: Surgery of the biliary passages and the pancreas. D Van Nostrand Company New York 1965Google Scholar
- 5).Nagase M: Mirizzi Syndrome. Jpn J Clin Med 35: 876, 1977 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 6).Nakanishi T, et al: A case of Mirizzi syndrome where malignancy was suspected at angiography. Clin Radiol 21: 451, 1976 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 7).Shibata S, et al: Problems on the diagnosis by selective celiac angiography. Clin Radiol 16: 456, 1971 (Jpn)Google Scholar
- 8).Hayes MA, et al: Developmental basis for bile duct anomalies. Surg Gynec & Obst 107: 447, 1958Google Scholar
- 9).Yamazaki M, et al: On the cholangiogram of Mirrizi syndrome. Clin Radiol 14: 951, 1969 (Jpn)Google Scholar