Graphical method for the determination of the complex NMR shift and equilibrium constant for a hetero-association accompanying self-associations
- 168 Downloads
We describe a novel graphical method which, in conjunction with the previously proposed graphical determination of monomer shift, dimer shift, and dimerization constant for self-association, allows us to determine the complex shift and equilibrium constant for a hetero-association, A + B ⇌ AB, accompanying self-associations, A + A ⇌ A2, and B + B ⇌ B2. The merit of the new method includes the removal of the restrictions imposed on the conventional Benesi-Hildebrand (B-H) plot: (1) that the concentration of one component must be much less than that of the other; (2) that there be no accompanying self-association. The simultaneous equilibrium of the self-association of 2-pyrrolidone (A) and that of 4-methyl-α-pyrrolidone (B) and the hetero-association between A and B in acetonitrile-d3 at 25‡C is studied. The inappropriateness of the B-H plot in dealing with this case is also pointed out.
Key wordsSelf-association hetero-association NMR shift graphical method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Rose,Molecular Complexes, (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1967).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Foster, ed.Molecular Association, Vols. 1 and 2, (Academic Press, London, 1975).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Hobza and R. Zahradnik,Weak Intermolecular Interactions in Chemistry and Biology, Studies in Physical and Theoretical Chemistry 3, (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1978).Google Scholar
- 4.P. Hobza and R. Zahradnik,Intermolecular Complexes, Studies in Physical and Theoretical Chemistry 52, (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1988).Google Scholar
- 5.E. Wyn-Jones and J. Gormally, eds.Aggregation Processes in Solutions, Studies in Physical and Theoretical Chemistry 26, (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1983).Google Scholar
- 6.J. C. Dore and J. Teixeira, eds.Hydrogen-Bonded Liquids, (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1989).Google Scholar
- 7.J. S. Davies, Jr. and K. K. Deb,Advn. Magn. Reson. 4, 201 (1970).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Streitweisser, C. H. Heathcock, and E. M. Kosower,Introduction to Organic Chemistry, 4th edn., (Macmillan, New York, 1992) Chap 23.Google Scholar
- 14.J. S. Chen and F. Rosenberger,Tetrahedron Utters,31, 3975 (1990).Google Scholar
- 17.C. C. MacDuffee,Theory of Equations, (Wiley, New York, 1954).Google Scholar
- 18.S. Wolfram,Mathematica, A System for Doing Mathematics by Computer, 2nd edn., (Addison-Wesley, Redwood City, CA, 1991).Google Scholar