Adaptive Instructional Strategies for Teaching Rules in Mathematics
- 46 Downloads
These researchers explored ways of adapting instruction to individual students. In one experiment, as an incentive for focusing on more difficult learning tasks, they assigned more points to tasks predicted to be difficult for the student. In a second experiment, they varied both incentives and number of examples offered to demonstrate the tasks, again on the basis of pretest scores. Included is a discussion of how the findings-that both techniques are beneficial—can be applied in classroom instruction.
KeywordsPosttest Score Pretest Score Instructional Support Adaptive Treatment Standard Incentive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkinson, R. C. & Wickens, T. D. Human memory and the concept of reinforcement. In R. Glaser (Ed.),The nature of reinforcement. New York: Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Berliner, D. C. & Cahen, L. S. Trait-treatment interaction and learning. In F. N. Kerlinger (Ed.),Review of research in education: I. Itasca, Ill.: F. E. Peacock, 1973.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J.Statistical power analyses for the behavioral sciences. New York: Academic Press, 1969.Google Scholar
- Cronbach, L. J., & Snow, R. E.Aptitudes and instructional methods. New York: Irvington, 1977.Google Scholar
- Glass, G. V. Integrating findings: The metaanalysis of research. In L. S. Shulman (Ed.),Review of research in education: V. Itasca, Ill.: F. E. Peacock, 1977.Google Scholar
- Hansen, D. N., Ross, S. M., & Rakow, E.Adaptive models for computer-based training systems (Semiannual report to Naval Personnel Research and Development Center). Memphis, Tenn.:Memphis State University, 1977.Google Scholar
- Kribs, H. D.The impact of incentives on information processing of a CAI learning task (Technical Report 30). CAI Center, Florida State University, 1974.Google Scholar
- Ross, S. M., Rakow, E. A., Bush, A. J., & Cervetti, M.J. Instructional adaptation for selfmanaged learning systems. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Boston, 1980.Google Scholar