Photo-acoustic determination of optical parameters of tissue-like media with reference to opto-acoustic diffraction
- 61 Downloads
Tissue optical properties are determined by an interpretation of pressure transients generated by irradiation with pulsed laser light. These pressure signals are detected using piezo-electric transducers.
These signals are influenced by numerous processes during generation, propagation and detection. Specific experiments were performed to study each process in particular using different substances with various absorption and scattering properties.
Opto-acoustical diffraction effects cause a strong distortion of the shape of the transients. This phenomenon was investigated experimentally and verified theoretically.
Key wordsPhoto-acoustic Pressure transients Piezoelectric transducer Optical properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mandelis A.Progress in Photothermal and Photoacoustic Science and Technology, Vol. 1:Principles and Perspectives of Photothermal and Photoacoustic Phenomena. Elsevier, New York, 1992Google Scholar
- 2.Mandelis A.Progress in Photothermal and Photoacoustic Science and Technology, Vol. 2:Non Destructive Evaluation. Prentice Hall, New York, 1994Google Scholar
- 3.Kliger DS.Ultrasensitive Laser Spectroscopy. Academic Press, New York, 1983Google Scholar
- 4.Scruby CB, Drain LE.Laser Ultrasonics: Techniques and Applications. Hilger, Bristol, 1990Google Scholar
- 5.Case KM, Zweifel PF.Linear Transport Theory. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley, Massachusetts, 1967Google Scholar
- 6.Ishimaru A.Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Vol. 1: Academic Press, New York, 1978Google Scholar
- 7.Welch AJ, van Gemert MJC.Optical-Thermal Response of Laser-Irradiated Tissue. New York: Plenum Press, New York, 1995Google Scholar
- 11.Burmistrova LV, Karabutov AA, Portnyagin A et al. Method of transfer functions in problems of thermooptical sound generation.Sov Phys Acoust 1978,24:369Google Scholar
- 12.Karabutov AA, Rudenko O, Cherepetskaya E. Theory of the thermooptical generation of nonsteady acoustic fields.Sov Phys Acoust 1979,25:218Google Scholar