Quantitative evaluation of coal as source rocks
- 53 Downloads
Gas generated and expelled from coals often results in economic gas accumulations. As a consequence, it is important to consider the theoretical aspects of these processes and to develop methods that can be used to assess coal as a potential source rock. On the basis of results of modeling hydrocarbon generation, expulsion, and retention in coals, two comprehensive indexes are proposed for assessing the quality and the nature of coal as a potential source rock. Theoretical charts of the two indexes are used to assess coals as potential source rocks in the Turpan-Hami Basin in northwestern China.
Key WordsCoals as source rocks hydrocarbon expulsion coal evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dai, J., Qi, H., and Song, Y., 1985, On the indicators for identifying gas from and oil and gas from coal measures: Petroleum Bulletin, v. 6, no. 2, p. 31–38.Google Scholar
- Fu, J., Lu, D., and Yin, S., 1992, The geochemistry of coal-generated hydrocarbons: Beijing, Chinese Science Press, 371 p.Google Scholar
- Huang, D., Li, J., and Wang, H., 1987, Evolution diagram of kerogen structure in the process of hydrocarbon formation: Energy Sources, v. 9, no. 3, p. 203–208.Google Scholar
- Huang, D., Hua, A., Wang, T., Zhang, Q., and Huang, X., 1992, Advances in geochemistry of oil derived from coals: Beijing, Chinese Petroleum Press, 469 p.Google Scholar
- Huang, D., Zhang, Q., Wang, T., and Zhao, X., 1995, Oil from coal—Formation and mechanism: Beijing, Chinese Petroleum Press, 437 p.Google Scholar
- Pang, X., 1993, Numerical simulation of hydrocarbon generation, retention and expulsion of source rocks in geohistory and their quantitative evaluation: Beijing, Chinese Geology Press, 160 p.Google Scholar
- Pang, X., 1995, Critical condition for hydrocarbon expulsion-Theory and application: Beijing, Chinese Petroleum Press, 279 p.Google Scholar
- Ronov, A. B., 1945, Hydrogeological conditions of stability of gas and oil fields of the Volga region: Doklady Akademii Nauk SSR, v. 49, no. 3, p. 212–214.Google Scholar
- Tissot, B. P., and Welte, D. H., 1978, Petroleum formation and occurrence—A new approach to oil and gas exploration: Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 521 p.Google Scholar
- Welte, D. H., 1965, Relation between petroleum and source rock: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 49, p. 2246–2268.Google Scholar