The significance of high follicular-phase luteinizing hormone levels in the treatment of women with polycystic ovarian syndrome by in vitro fertilization
- 74 Downloads
It seems, therefore, that in PCOS patients stimulated for IVF with HMG, follicular-phase LH levels have an adverse effect on follicle and oocyte numbers as well as on oocyte quality. Moreover, an inappropriately raised LH appears to have a deleterious effect on the pregnancy outcome by being associated with a greater possibility for miscarriage. On the other hand, the administration of GnRH-a in the long desensitization protocol seems to reverse the detrimental effect of increased LH concentrations on follicular and oocyte development, whereas the beneficial effect on oocyte maturity, although significant, appears to be less profound. Furthermore, GnRH-a administration is associated with a decreased risk for early abortion.
KeywordsLuteinizing Hormone Clomiphene Citrate PCOS Patient Luteinizing Hormone Level PCOS Woman
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Tarlatzis BC, Grimbizis G, Pournaropoulos F, Bontis J, Lagos S, Spanos E, Mantalenakis S: The prognostic value of basal luteinizing hormone: Follicle-stimulating hormone ratio in the treatment of patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome by assisted reproduction techniques. Hum Reprod 1995;10:2545–2549PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Turhan NO, Artini PG, D’Ambrogio G, Groghini F, Battaglia C, Genazzani AD, Volpe A, Genazzani AR: A comparative study of three ovulation induction protocols in polycystic ovarian disease patients in an in vitro fertilization/embryo transfer program. J Assist Reprod Genet 1993;10:15–20PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lanzone A, Fulghesu AM, Spina MA, Apa R, Menini E, Caruso A, Mancuso A: Successful induction of ovulation and conception with combined gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist plus highly purified follicle-stimulating hormone in patients with polycystic ovarian disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1987;65:1253–1258PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hofmann GE, Bergh PA, Guzman I, Masuku S, Navot D: Premature luteinization is not eliminated by pituitary desensitization with leuprolide acetate in women undergoing gonadotrophin stimulation who demonstrated premature luteinization in a prior gonadotrophin-only cycle. Hum Reprod 1993;8:695–698PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Johnson P, Pearce MJ: Recurrent spontaneous abortion and polycystic ovarian disease: Comparison of two regimens to induce ovulation. Br Med J 1990;300:154–156Google Scholar