Pathological tree-ring structures in Siberian juniper (juniperus sibirica burgsd.) and their use for reconstructing extreme climatic events
The results of identification and dating of frost, false, and light rings in the wood of living and dead Siberian juniper plants growing at the upper forest boundary in the Polar Urals were used to determine the incidence of these structures over the past 630 years. Based on the data of instrumental observations on daily air temperature, the dates and rates of temperature decrease in the years of pathological tree ring formation were analyzed. The recurrence and intensity of extreme temperature drops during the growing seasons of the past six centuries were reconstructed. The severest frosts occurred in the summer seasons of 1601, 1783, 1857, 1882, and 1968.
Key wordstree rings pathological structures Juniperus sibirica climatic extremes frosts the Polar Urals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borisenkov, E.P. and Pasetskii, V.M.,Tysyacheletnyaya letopis' neobychainykh yavlenii prirody (The Millennial Chronicle of Remarkable Natural Phenomena), Moscow: Mysl', 1988.Google Scholar
- Hantemirov, R.M., Shiyatov, S.G., and Gorlanova, L.A., The Dendroclimatic Potential of Siberian Juniper,Lesovedenie, 1999, no. 6, pp. 33–38.Google Scholar
- Nilov, V.N. and Chertovskoi, V.G., On the Effect of Frosts on Young Spruce Growth,Ekologiya, 1975, no. 4, pp. 47–52.Google Scholar
- Pavese, M.P., Banzon, V., Colacino, M., Gregori, G.P., and Pasqua, M., Three Historical Data Series on Floods and Anomalous Climatic Events in Italy, inClimate since A.D. 1500, Bradley, R.S. and Jones, P.D., Eds., London: Routledge, 1992, pp. 155–170.Google Scholar
- Schweingruber, F.H.,Tree Rings and Environment. Dendroecology, Berne: Haupt, 1996.Google Scholar
- Shiyatov, S.G., The Linear Growth of Larch during the Growing Season at the Upper Forest Boundary in the Polar Ural Mountains, inFiziologiya i ekologiya drevesnykh rastenii (The Physiology and Ecology of Woody Plants), Tr. Inst. Biol., vol. 43, Sverdlovsk, 1965, pp. 249–253.Google Scholar
- Shiyatov, S.G., Reconstruction of Climate and the Upper Timberline Dynamics since A.D. 745 by Tree-Ring Data in the Polar Ural Mountains,Int. Conf. on Past, Present and Future Climate: Proc. SILMU Conf., Helsinki, Finland, August 22–25, 1995, Helsinki: Academy of Finland Press, 1995, pp. 144–147.Google Scholar
- Stahle, D.W., The Tree-Ring Record of False Spring in the Southcentral USA,Dissertation, Arizona State Univ., 1990.Google Scholar
- Vaganov, E.A., Shiyatov, S.G., and Mazepa, V.S.,Dendroklimaticheskie issledovaniya v Uralo-Sibirskoi Subarktike (Dendroclimatic Study in the Ural-Siberian Subarctic), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1996.Google Scholar