A note on transfer prices and exchange rate pass-through
- 101 Downloads
The paper builds a model of a parent corporation selling an intermediate product to a foreign subsidiary. The model is used to explain the response of foreign prices to changes in the exchange rate between the country of the parent affiliate and the foreign subsidiary. The model examines this response with and without an external market for the intermediate product.
KeywordsExchange Rate Foreign Market Price Elasticity Transfer Price Parent Firm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antzoulatos, Angelos A., and Jaiwen Yang. 1996. “Exchange Rate Pass-Through in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Demand-Side Story.”International Trade Journal 10 (3): 325–352.Google Scholar
- Baldwin, Richard. 1988. “Hysterisis in Import Prices: The Beachhead Effect.”American Economic Review 78: 773–85.Google Scholar
- Dornbusch, Rudiger. 1987. “Exchange Rates and Prices.”American Economic Review 77: 93–106.Google Scholar
- Froot, Kenneth A., and Paul D. Klemperer. 1989. “Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters.”American Economic Review 79: 637–54.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, and Michael M. Knetter. 1997. “Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?”Journal of Economic Literature 35: 1243–72.Google Scholar
- Hung, Juann H. 1997. “The Exchange Rate's Impact on Overseas Profits of U.S. Multinationals”.Journal of Economics and Business 439–458.Google Scholar
- Knetter, Michael M. 1989. “Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters.”American Economic Review 79: 198–210.Google Scholar
- Krugman, Paul R. 1987. “Pricing to Market When the Exchange Rate Changes”. InReal-Financial Linkages among Open Economies, edited by Sven W. Arndt and J. David Richardson. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Mansfield, Edwin. 1996.Managerial Economics: Theory, Applications, and Cases. 3rd Edition. New York: W. W. Norton and Company.Google Scholar
- Waterson, Michael. 1984.Economic Theory of the Industry. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar