Autotomy and regeneration of limbs in the male blue king crabParalithodes platypus from the Bering Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk
Limb loss and the frequency of regeneration was investigated in the male blue king crabParalithodes platypus collected in the Sea of Okhotsk and the Bering Sea. TheP. platypus population in the Bering Sea is characterized by an anomalously high proportion of crabs with missing limbs, which is largely due to the intensive fishing. The present approach to the exploitation of the Bering Sea population, in which large intact crabs are removed and injured crabs are left to recover to the normal state, may result in a decline in the reproductive potential of this population as early as this coming year.
Keywordsautotomy regeneration blue king crab Paralithodes platypus Sea of Okhotsk Bering Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vinogradov, L.G., Decapod Crustacea of the Sea of Okhotsk,Izv. TINRO, 1947, vol. 25, pp. 67–124.Google Scholar
- 2.Zaks, I.G.,Morskie bespozvonochnye Dal'nego vostoka (Marine Invertebrates of the Far East), Khabarovsk: Dal’giz, 1933.Google Scholar
- 3.Makarov, V.V.,Rakoobraznye. Anomura (Crustacea. Anomura), Fauna SSSR, Novaya seriya (Fauna of the USSR, New Series), no. 16, Moscow: Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1938, vol. 10, issue 3.Google Scholar
- 4.Rodin, V.E., Slizkin, A.G.,et al., Rukovodstvo po izucheniyu desyatinogikh rakoobraznykh Decapoda dal'nevostochnykh morei (Handbook on Decapoda Crustacea of Far Eastern Seas), Vladivostok: Dal'nev. Nauch.-Issled. Inst. Ryb. Khoz. Okeanogr., 1979.Google Scholar
- 5.Selin, N.I., Traumatism in the CrabChionoecetes opilio from the Western Bering Sea,Biol. Morya, 1998, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 261–264.Google Scholar
- 6.Bliss, D.E., Autotomy and Regeneration,Physiology of Crustacea, New York: Academic Press, 1960, vol. 1, pp. 561–589.Google Scholar
- 8.Ivanov, B.G., Limb Injuries in Crabs in the Western Bering Sea (Crustacea Decapoda: Brachyura Majidae, Anomura Lithodidae),Arthr. Selecta, 1994, vol. 3, nos. 3–4, pp. 33–56.Google Scholar
- 10.McVean, A., Autotomy,Biology of Crustacea, New York: Academic Press, 1982, vol. 4, pp. 107–132.Google Scholar