On the problem of reconstruction of defects of complex shapes
- 18 Downloads
The paper considers reconstruction of a defect of an arbitrary shape in a solid on the basis of changes in the characteristics of a back-scattered ultrasonic wave. Typical dimensions of the defect are assumed to be larger than the wavelength, and the defect is assumed to be in the far-field zone, which allows us to operate in the plane-wave approximation. An algorithm for constructing a convex shell for a non-convex defect using the return time of the back-scattered wave measured by scanning the angles around the tested object is described. The method is illustrated on examples of convex shells of two-dimensional defects of different shapes.
KeywordsNondestructive Test Arbitrary Shape Return Time Defect Boundary Defect Shape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ermolov, I.N.,Teoriya i praktika ul’trazvukovogo kontrolya (Theory and Practice of Ultrasonic Testing), Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1981.Google Scholar
- 2.Boev, N.V., Vatul'yan, A.O., and Sumbatyan, M.A., Reconstruction of Scatterer's Shape from Characteristics of Scattered Acoustic Field in Short-Wave Band,Akust. Zh., 1997, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 458–462.Google Scholar
- 3.Preparata, F. and Seamus, M.,Computational Geometry. An Introduction, New York, Springer-Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.Blaschke, V.,Differential Geometry and Geometrical Principles of Einstein's Relativity Theory. Translated under the titleDifferentsialnaya geometriya i geometricheskie osnovy teorii otnositel'nosti Einshteina, Moscow-Leningrad: ONTI, 1935.Google Scholar
- 5.Boev, N.V. and Troyan, E.A., Exact Inversion of the Operator in Inverse Problem of Reconstruction of Complex Scatterers in Axially Symmetrical Configuration, inSovremennye problemy mekhaniki sploshnoi sredy (Contemporary Problems of Continuum Mechanics), Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf., vol. 1, pp. 55–59, Rostov-on-Don: MP Kniga, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.De Boer, K.,Practical Manual on Splines. Translated under the titlePrakticheskoe rukovodstvo po splainam, Moscow; Radio i Svyaz', 1985.Google Scholar