Analysis of adhesion proteins from neural eye tissues of eight-day-old chick embryos
- 21 Downloads
Two groups of proteins were isolated from the retina and pigment epithelium of eight-day-old chick embryos. Experiments with suspension cultures of retinal cells demonstrated that only the retinal extracts and the fraction of its acidic proteins can stimulate cell aggregation in vitro. Analysis by the method of high-performance liquid chromatography showed that fractions of acidic and basic retinal proteins, which markedly differ in their electric charge and biological activity, have similar composition. To study the effect of these proteins on the morphological and functional state of pigment epitheliumin vitro, a new experimental model is proposed, with the posterior segment of the newt (Pleurodeles waltl) eye used as a test tissue. The fraction of basic proteins isolated from the chick embryonic pigment epithelium stabilized cell differentiation in the newt pigment epithelium. The analyzed proteins proved to be biologically active at extremely low doses, corresponding to 10−12 M solutions.
Key wordsadhesion proteins retinal pigment epithelium differentiation newts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yamskova, V.P. and Reznikova, M.M.,A Low-Molecular Blood Serum Polypeptide of Poikilotherms: Effect on Cell Adhesion and Proliferation, Zh. Obshch. Biol., 1991, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 181–191.Google Scholar
- Yamskova, V.P. and Yamskov, I.A. The Mechanism of Biological Action of Physicochemical Factors at Extremely Low Doses,Ross. Khim. Zh., 1999, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 74–79.Google Scholar
- Yamskova, V.P., Tumanova, N.B., and Loginov, A.S., Comparative Analysis of the Effects of Liver Extracts from C57B1 and CBA Mice on Hepatocyte Adhesion,Byull. Eksp. Biol. Med., 1990, no. 3, pp. 303–306.Google Scholar
- Yamskova, V.P., Nechaeva, N.V., Tumanova, N.B.,et al., Effects of Macromolecular Adhesion Factors Isolated from Mammalian Blood and Liver on the Rate of Protein Synthesis and ATP Content in Hepatocytesin vitro.Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Biol., 1994, no. 2, pp. 190–196.Google Scholar
- Darbre, A.,Practical Protein Chemistry: A Handbook, Chichester: Wiley, 1986. Translated under the titlePrakticheskaya khimiya belka, Moscow: Mir, 1989, pp. 300–302.Google Scholar
- Grigoryan, E.N., Ivanova, I.P., and Poplinskaya V.A., Identification of new, Intrinsic Sources of Neural Retina Regeneration after Detachment in Newts. Morphological and Quantitative Analysis,Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Biol., 1996, no. 3, pp. 319–332.Google Scholar
- Kreis, T. and Vale, R.,Guidebook to the Extracellular Matrix and Adhesion Proteins, Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- Okada, T.S.,Transdifferentiation, Oxford: Clarendon, 1991.Google Scholar
- Reichardt, L.F., Extracellular Matrix Molecules and Their Receptors,Guidebook to the Extracellular Matrix and Adhesion Proteins, Kreis, T. and Vale, R., Eds., Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 1993, pp. 3–11.Google Scholar