Mutual correlation between gas chromatographic retention indices of unsaturated and saturated hydrocarbons found by molecular dynamics
- 35 Downloads
It is shown that gas Chromatographic retention indices for cycloalkenes can be calculated from the corresponding data for cycloalkanes (and vice versa) using computer simulation of intramolecular vibrational and rotational processes by molecular dynamics. For organic compounds structurally related asA → B, the total internal energy differences δE = E(B)-E(A) correlate with the corresponding differences in retention indices δI = I(B)-I(A), and a linear relationship exists δI =aδE + b (a < 0, ¦ρ¦ > 0.9). Limitations are found for the use of molecular dynamics for compounds havingn-alkyl radicals with no less than four carbon atoms. In these cases, a simpler model for the evaluation of dynamic molecular parameters should be preferred for the calculation of retention indices of acyclic alkenes and alkanes. The reliability of the retention indices evaluated by the proposed technique is comparable to their interlaboratory reproducibility found using standard nonpolar poly(dimethylsiloxane) stationary phases.
KeywordsMolecular Dynamic Retention Index Saturated Hydrocarbon Methylcyclohexane Mutual Correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zenkevich, I.G.,J. Ecol. Chem., 1993, vol. 2, no. 4, p. 258.Google Scholar
- 2.Zenkevich, I.G. and Ioffe, B.V.,Interpretatsiya massspektrov organicheskikh soedinenii (Interpretation of Mass Spectra of Organic Compounds), Leningrad: Khimiya, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Bogoslovskii, Yu.N., Anvaer, B.I., and Vigdergauz, M.S.,Khromatograficheskie postoyannye vgazovoi khromatografii: Uglevodorody i kislorodsoderzhashchie soedineniya. Spravochnik (Chromatographic Constants in Gas Chromatography: Hydrocarbons and Oxygencontaining Compounds. A Handbook), Moscow: Izd. Standartov, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.Karapet’yants, M.Kh.,Metody sravnitel’nogo rascheta fiziko-khimicheskikh svoistv (Methods for Comparative Calculation of Physicochemical Properties), Moscow: Nauka, 1965.Google Scholar
- 5.Zenkevich, I.G.,Zh. Anal. Khim., 1995, vol. 50, no. 10, p. 1048.Google Scholar
- 6.Zenkevich, LG.,Zh. Org. Khim., 1992, vol. 28, no. 9, p. 1827.Google Scholar
- 8.Zenkevich, I.G., Chupalov, A.A., and Khertsshu, R.,Zh. Org. Khim., 1996, vol. 32, no. 11, p. 1685.Google Scholar
- 9.Zenkevich, I.G.,Zh. Org. Khim., 1998, vol. 34, no. 10, p. 1463.Google Scholar
- 10.Zenkevich, LG.,Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1997, vol. 353, no. 5, p. 625.Google Scholar
- 11.Zenkevich, I.G., Kharicheva, E.M., and Kostikov, R.R.,Zh. Org. Khim., vol. 35, no. 11, p. 1600.Google Scholar
- 12.Zenkevich, LG.,Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1999, vol. 73, no. 5, p. 687.Google Scholar