Role of Yersinia enterocolitica in childhood diarrhea
A total of 157 infants and preshool children with acute diarrhea were investigated for Yersinia enterocolitica over a six months period. Only one infant with acute diarrhea (0.6%) was found to have Yersinia enterocolitica in the stool as compared to none from the 65 asymptomatic controls. Clinical features of the child with yersinia diarrhea have been described.
Key wordsAcute diarrhea Yersinia enterocolitica clinical features
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mollaret HH, Bercovier H, Alcnso JM: Summary of data received at the WHO Reference Center for Yersinia enterccolitica. Contr Microbiol Immunol 5: 174, 1979Google Scholar
- 2.Bottone EJ: Yersinia enterocolitica: a panoramic view of a charismatic microorganism. Crit Rev Microbiol 5: 211, 1977Google Scholar
- 3.Pizsolitto AC, Faleao DP, Shinizu MT, Galvas SHM, Giraldini W: The first isolation of human Yersinia enterocolitica in Brazil: Case Report. Contr Microbiol Immunol 5:169, 1979Google Scholar
- 4.Haghighi L: The first successful isolation and identification of Yersinia enterocolitica in Iran. Contr Microbiol Immunol 5: 206, 1979Google Scholar
- 9.Soletsz LV, Cales S, Per-Anders M: An effective, selective medium for Yersinia enterocolitica containing sodium oxalate. Acta Pathol Microbiol Siand (Sect B) 88: 11, 1980Google Scholar
- 10.Singh G, Bhan MK, Ghai OP: Arora NK, Shriniwas, Dhar S: A selective medium for Yersina enterocolitica: a comparative evaluation. (under publication)Google Scholar
- 13.Black RF, Brown KH, Becker S, Alim ARM, Huq I: Longitudinal studies of infectious diseases and physical growth of children in rural Bangladesh: II Incidence of diarhoea and association with known pathogens. Amn J Epidemiol 3:315, 1982Google Scholar
- 15.Kanazama Y, Ikamma K: Isolation of Yersinia enterocolitica and Yersinia pseudotuberculosis from human specimens and their drug resistnnce in Nigate district of Japan. Contr Microbiol Immunol 5: 106, 1979Google Scholar
- 17.Esseveld H, Condywoord C: On the epidemiology of Yersinia enterocolitica infections: Pigs as the sources of infection in man. Contr Microbiol immunol 2:99, 1973Google Scholar
- 18.Krishneppa G, Zaki S, Keshavamenthy BS: A report on the serological evidence of porcine Yersiniosis in India. Curr Sci 49:838, 1980Google Scholar